Soaps You Feel The Soap Press Doted On/Ignored

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never feel comfortably commenting on the ABC soaps as I never watched them or followed them but as far as the soaps I know go I know Days always got so much much press coverage over ATWT/GL/AW. I remember jumping up and down over a Josh and Reva SOD cover in 2006 which sounds bad but by that time I felt the show, despite how bad it had become had largely been forgotten; it was the first time the show had been on the front cover on SOD since 2002.

Regarding Y&R as a loyal viewer I could easily understand the heavy press coverage it got I mean it is the #1 soap but what the soap press never understood nor explored why it was the #1 soap.

• Members

To this day, Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans from Days of Our Lives are still going strong -- at least in the memories of a lot of diehard Patch and Kayla fans back in the day. Magazine covers featuring those two, especially from the 1987 to 1989 period, are always a hot commodity. And believe-it-or-not but Charles Shaughnessy and Patsy Pease still have something of a cult following 25 years after they hit their zenith on the same soap.

Oddly enough this was around the same time that I quit watching NBC and switched to the ABC soaps with the exception of Santa Barbara.

• Members

Days of our Lives and General Hospital - probably because they seem to have the most psycho fans (who will buy anything). hehe wink.png

But, yeah - those two. And to a lesser degree, The Young and the Restless and All My Children.

As for ignored, the half-hour soaps; also, the P&G soaps.

• Members

Yep... even when their ratings were in the toilet in the early '90s.

I don't think it's about the amount of fans, but the personally of the fans you have. Mary Sue from Iowa could have been sending in 50 votes. LOL

And just to clarify - I'm not saying every single DOOL fan is like that. I also know Neilsen ratings aren't 100% accurate.

• Members

They won in 1996 for Best Show. But there was no actual 'best storyline' award for the previous year.

DAYS & GH share the top spot, followed closely behind by Y&R. in recent years, there have been endless Nick/Phyllis/Sharon and Victor covers.

I'd say AMC was next, then B&B, then OLTL. ATWT & GL afterwards. GL never had a cover on SOD after 2002.

I think I read that LOVING had only one cover on SOD during its 12 year run. And even that may be incorrect. It may have just been Weekly.

I found it funny how Another World seemed to get more cover stories upon its cancellation announcement. Suddenly they were a hot story to cover.

• Members

They had that Josh and Reva cover in 2006 I mentioned above but they never got a farewell cover like ATWT did the following year. I actually don't even remember when the last time ATWT had a cover before that, probably had to be at least ten years at the least.

The most interesting was when Jacqueline Courtney's death made the cover back in 2011 and they had weird touched up photo of Steve and Alice up.

Archived