"Hollyoaks Later" Equivalent for US Soaps: Feasible?

• Members

Hollyoaks Later never fails among the series that I've watched so far with epic storytelling and other great moments...

*Niall's death from the cliff.

*Sarah Barnes and the parachute.

*The lesbian 3-way.

Is there a way a late night series featuring characters from GH/Y&R/DAYS/B&B could be put into place with high production values, riskier storytelling and on-location shooting? It could be the boost these shows need. Maybe have Sam McCall come face to face with Caleb in a high-stakes chase around Manhattan?...or Hope Logan get into BDSM or piss play? The possibilities seem endless.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wasn't this kinda what SoapNet's GH Night Watch was doing? I never was able to watch it, but I heard the first season sucked, but people much preferred overall the second season to what was then on the show... While it seems a bad idea to do something like this right now with soaps overall not really having much impact--if for some reason the networks did want a racy 30 minute late night show they could do worse than involving one of their shows as a jumping off point. I watch Hollyoaks sporadically but was it on their late night run that they had that bisexual guy killing people? :P (How's that for vague...)

• Members

It's stupid for all of the networks not to do more with their soaps in primetime. ABC was looking for affordable summer run programs, why not do a cheap soap spin-off for the summer? Why not air a primetime soap episode here and there? It costs very little and is another way to promote the soaps. With ABC having to cancel so many shows, I'd tell General Hospital to rush a 6th episode that could air in one of those slots. Of course the ratings won't be huge, but you'll have people sampling your show and you don't have to fill the timeslot with so many repeats.

• Members

General Hospital: Night Shift was kinda like Hollyoaks later but the first season did suck. Why did it suck? Robert Guza and Jill Farren Phelps were involved. When they brought in Lisa de Cazotte (current Days Co-Executive Producer) and Sri Rao to headwrite. They show dramatically increases and I would have loved to see another season or more of the show. It was more entertaining then GH was at the time. I think that maybe American soap producers should take a cue from the British producers and overall all European producers. What they do make their shows so much better then what happens in America.

• Members

Well by HBO standards it was tame, but I get what you mean.

It would be something smart to do, say, in the Summers. The idea of adding teen storylines for the Summers has kinda come and gone--but attracting a new crowd through such a limited series would be smart. American TV never really has done this though whereas it's always been a bit more common in the UK (ie that Footballers' Wives spin off, etc)

• Members

I don't get how you see everything as degrading toward women, and yet you watch reality TV, where each and every show degrades not fictional women but real women. How is a lesbian three way degrading to women, but foul mouthed low class slobs cursing each other out but being too stupid to know they're trash and look pathetic not degrading?

Archived