Soaps that were filmed in New York

• Members

AMS, I'm not sure about the Studio 54 thing, but that is certainly close to CBS's studios a few blocks away where they taped ATWT before the move to AW's old studio in BK and GL's studio before the move to Peapack. I remember walking by CBS when I would visit The Museum of TV & Radio (now Paley) which was next door to the famous 21 Club. It's been quite a few years for me so I don't remember exact addresses.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love of Life was once taped at what would later become Studio 54; however, Studio 41, former home of Love is a Many Splendored Thing, was its final home before leaving CBS. many of CBS soaps were originally broadcast from Liederkranz Hall (live broadcasts; no taping in those days).

• Members

I was the only soap fan among my friends from acting school in NY, and ironically never worked on a soap like a lot of them did. The majority of them worked on GL and ATWT when both were still taping in Manhattan.

• Members

Even though I really liked Y&R as a kid, there was always something about that I really liked about ATWT and later when I'd start watching GL--the scenes seemed very theatrical and episodes appeared to be staged similar to a three act play, much of the time.

I don't know whether anyone is familiar with the PBS series from the 80s-90s, American Playhouse or even some of the classic plays staged outdoors that were televised on the NYC/NYE and the Metro Channel in NYC.

ATWT and GL, in particular had that feel, perhaps because so many people in front of and behind the camera came from the theater community and many continued to work in theater while on the show.

But the staging of these shows, especially throughout the 80s, had this feel. I was too young to know it back then but when I became involved in the theater as a teen and young adult, I realized that's what it felt like to me watching these shows as a kid.

Even watching clips now, even the cheap sets, is pleasing to my ever loving theatre heart.

Archived