Soaps that were filmed in New York

• Members

I don't think any of them are filmed in New York now but do you know how many were? I know All My Children and One Life were (before AMC moved to California). I know Another World was. Was Loving? or Ryan's Hope? They sound like New York soaps. Any others? I know now all the the soaps are in California.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not to change the subject and sorry for not giving you an answer but do you think that since Soaps were originally a Chicago-Based institution when they were on Radio then became a NYC based institution do you think Stamford, CT could be the next home for the soaps???

Anyway, Yes Loving and Ryans Hope were NYC based. I think all PGP soaps were as well.

• Members

So...I guess I'll provide a list. I'm bored XD. I'll post whatever ones I know of. Mostly will stick to the last 30 years or so. Before that gets kinda muddy for me.

NYC soaps

All My Children

One Life To Live

Ryan's Hope

Loving/The City

The Edge of Night

Another World

The Doctors

Texas

Lovers & Friends/For Richer, For Poorer

Somerset

Search For Tomorrow

As The World Turns

Guiding Light

Love of Life

The Brighter Day (1954-61)

The Secret Storm

LA soaps

General Hospital

Port Charles

All My Children (the last ABC year or so)

Days of our Lives

Passions

Sunset Beach

Santa Barbara

Generations

The Clear Horizon

The Brighter Day (1961-62)

The Young & The Restless

The Bold & The Beautiful

Capitol

Not sure on Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing, but I suspect that was another LA-based show. Return To Peyton Place and How To Survive A Marriage are also mysteries to me, though I suspect RTPP was LA based, while HTSM may have been an NYC production. Best of Everything is probably NYC, though that may just be my assumption because the series was set there. Dark Shadows, Where The Heart Is, A World Apart, and Bright Promise I'm unsure of.

• Members

NYC was the epicenter of soaps. L.A. was the exception, not the rule. God only knows what the future holds for soaps, but most likely, Manhattan will no longer be a first choice for homebase. The NJ and CT 'burbs, Maryland, and Georgia offer more attractive prices, studio space, and tax incentives for the medium's future.

• Members

I really appreaciate the list. and i know a lot of those soaps were all on at once. It must have been a great place to be a young actor trying to make it. No wonder most soaps back in the 90's and 80's had large casts and lots of recasts.

• Members

I'm pretty sure I read in Waggett's book of soap lists that LOL (and maybe SFT?) was shot in a long gone basement studio in Grand Central. IIRC, he points out the connection because of a scene in Superman where Chris Reeve flys through the same abandoned space.

The Bill Cunningham Show tapes in a basement studio in the Hotel Pennsylvania across the street from Penn Station in midtown Manhattan, and I want to say that s soap shot there at some point, but I'm unsure.

AW and later TX and even later ATWT taped out in Brooklyn. There have been articles over the years where AW cast members talked about being detached from their NY soap counterparts being out in the BK instead of tony Manhattan. Linda Dano and others had car service that took them to and from Manhattan/Brooklyn, while people like Erika Slezak drove themselves into Manhattan from the Island.

• Members

Wait, haven't I read that Love of Life was, at one point, done in what would later become Studio 54? The concept of all the soaps in one building comes from a Don Hastings interview I watched or read a few years back where he made an absent comment on how CBS "had a whole building full of them." I guess that doesn't necessarily mean all of their shows were done there, just a lot of them.

• Members

Yes but i've also heard Linda and others from Another World say that it was good for them because they really did become a "family" more than on other soaps because they were so detatched. Of course if you hear actors on all the soaps, the word 'family' is used losely.there all a "family" at least in interviews and in public. I beleive Linda though because i bet it was more out of the way and they did more things together during their long days on the set.

Archived