How about Lorriane Broderick as co-head writer of Y&R?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SHe apparently is very happy at DAYS and I also get the feeling at this point she prefers being an associate/breakdown writer, because it's less work. (She only briefly returned to AMC as a favour to Nixon after Pratt's destruction and then became a breakdown writer again until she was promoted a week or two before the cancelation, I assume again partly as a last hope type of thing.)

I would say she's more than a one soap pony, but there's no doubt that she gets te feel of AMC far better than any other show. I love her work, but Carl's opinion, though I think it's too harsh, is fair--in hindsight her longer stints at AMC, both in the 90s and the 80s ha their share of weak or WTF stories (Tanner Jordan is still my least fave just because it had sucha misogynistic tinge to it--which is rare for her IMHO.) Her two years at One Life as co-HW with Chris Whitesall (and EP Gary TOmlin, so in many ways a similar lineup to now at DAYS) wasn't bad but it did have a high camp sensibility which Ihave no doubt was at least partially the influence of Tomlin and Whitesall who have that reputation (especially due to their Sunset Beach era.)

But if she was to ever change her mind, and if PP could afford her, I wish she'd join AMC as co-HW with a younger writer.

As for Y&R, I actually would love Griffith and Kay Alden working side by side. I think it's really an outrage Alden isn't tat Y&R (but how should I know--maybe she absolutely prefers being at B&B? It's easy to pressume these things.) In many ways Broderick does seem to be to Nixon (along with Washam) whjat Alden was to Bell.

• Members

Doing some snooping on various Facebook pages, and noticed Casey Childs posted clip of Jeanne Cooper's final appearance on Y&R (he directed that episode). Anyway, in the comments section, Frederick Johnson left this lovely comment. It's always nice to know what characters/stories/relationship dynamics writers loved writing the best.

"The Katherine Chancellor/Jill Foster Abbott relationship was one of the richest, most complicated, deliciously juicy on any serial ever. I've never written for any two characters whose voices were more distinct, and that is due in no small part to the extraordinary talent of Jeanne Cooper and Jess Walton. Brava and thank you!"
He's someone I always thought should have been given HW shot at AMC or even return to Y&R as a heavily influential AHW, and he's the only person I know that's trained under both Bell and Nixon. I know he briefly worked for Carlivati at OLTL a few years back, but I wonder if he has any interest in returning to the medium. Probably not, but it would've been nice to see someone like him take charge on one of the existing soaps.

Archived