OLTL: Tuesday May 28, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

That would be an interesting storyline, and it is along the lines of those socially relevant stories PP wants to tell.. Would be awesome if it's like the movie "Notes on a Scandal".. this "Mary Kay Letourneau" storyline could be awesome and the actor is legal now to tell a story like this

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But what's the point of telling a storyline like this if Jack is of legal age, and isn't underage like that kid that slept with his teacher Mary Kay Letourneau? IMHO, Jack should be paired with Dusky, since I hate the idea of her trying to hook up with Cutter!

• Members

I agreed with all of that. And yeah the older guy with the creepy prepubescent mustache and that girl kinda confused me--but it must be leading to somewhere (I assume she was doing E and that wasn't more oxycotin?.) Or maybe it was just to remind us, along with the drug suppliers line to Dusky, that this is becoming a problem with the club (along with Tea's surprise that Dani stays out so late so often.)

Andrew was good--especially for him though the in a hug came too suddenly I thought but that may have just been too short of a scene and not his fault.

OK I hate to do just what I complain when a certain other poster on here has, but two tiny continuity things did bug me a bit. One was just my own confusion I think--after Nora was the one who remembered family poker night it seemed weird that they acted like it should be a guys only game but maybe they were just sassing her (although seriously, people have to stop letting camera man guy hang around and place his camera where everyone is when they ask him not to film--knowing David I'd make sure myself I was never in the same room with it.)

The other was Natalie saying she had to rush home (after a whirlwind visit) to pay the babysitter, and then next we see--apparently with her baby fast asleep by himself, she's out clubbing LOL. I'm sure this was just a detail that was lost with the speed and out of order way these early episodes were filmed on both soaps, so I can't be too hard on it, but it did make me laugh. They could have easily had her have Vicki babytsit in a throwaway line, or whatever. Also--and AMC does this too, we have scenes where characters come to visit another--like Natalie at VIcki's and then they leave at the next scene--I know that's a soap convention but it comes as even shorter and quicker in this new format. They could easily make it, to me, feel more realistic by when they cut back having the characters walk back int he room and say how much they enjoyed dinner and then leave, or something. It's a small detail, but one that is a pet peeve of mine.

Oh I also liked that Jeff and Destiny addressed the issue of her taking the Bukes money or not.

• Members

I know... isn't the legal age in Pennsylvania 17 or something? I guess it must be a moral storyline, since it's a teacher breaking the trust b/w teacher and student.. I hope they don't do a double standard with this storyline

well someone posted a story idea about it..

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/forums/13/05/26/is-one-life-to-live-doing-a-mary-kay-letourneau-story-with-jack-and-his-teacher

• Members

I liked that too but I wish Jeffrey would have pushed her a little bit on reasoning. 1) No, Bo and Nora are not her family but they are Drew's family. It would have worked better if she threw in that she wants to be less dependent on them so that they don't think they have equal decision-making authority over how she raises Drew. 2) Yes, ok you want Matthew to step up- but even if the three of you were happily playing house, you're both 21 and that would be largely if not entirely bankrolled by Bo & Nora & the ghost of Asa for a few more years.

I mostly like how they're writing Des a lot and I get that she wants to be independent but I think there's enough to work with from Matthew not wanting to be involved. The whole single mother working nights to pay rent is just not ringing as true when the kid is Asa's great grandson.

• Members

I admit, scenes like Snoop, or that band on AMC, or whatever, which I tolerate and sometimes really enjoy o9n the hours soaps frustrate me more when I know we get so much less soap per week--even if that's unreasonable of me.

In a similar fashion, I hate complaining about the cut to two episodes a week, I do, but... While I thought this episode had some really strong character stuff it (and to some degree Monday's AMC) clearly felt like what they were--the third episode of a week of four, which when you watch four days in a row is a lot easier to take than in the two a day format. But I know we have to put up with this for a while now.

They are,even if I suppose to various degrees they're all meant to be no good--it's completely ridiculous that they all wanted Dusky so quickly and badly but, *shrug*

• Members

It started off moving so fast, but I agree now it sorta has settled. We've gotten a lot of great writing though, so I've enjoyed that and the character moments. Again, this also plays a part with just two episodes a week (I wish there was some way to go to three, which I think would be much easier to take), but I agree it does feel a bit like the stories have suddenlyslowed (but I think this is just a perception.)

• Members

Well except for Zack, David, Bianca JR, Cara, Angie and Jesse. But I see your point. I think AMC is in a much stronger place than you do from your comments, and it seems to be improving quickly, but I certainly wish that AMC and OLTL would swap some of their qualities at this point (I will say for OLTL they have the superior dialogue, so when nothing happens in either show, that does make it stronger.)

And in both cases, we aren't even into the 20s episodes yet--to some that may seem like me making excuses, but I really am loving watching both shows--even if I admit this two episode a week thing is annoying me more than I expected--yes, it leaves me wanting more, but it just feels a bit too little (especially when they do have several stories going.)

• Members

You would be very wrong. Jolie fans, like every fan base had varying loyalty to the pairing as a whole, and to the characters individually. I never liked John except when he was with Natalie, and I also never hated him more than when he was with Natalie. Lol. The rest of the time I was pretty apathetic. He just faded into nothingness. I've enjoyed most of Natalie's love interests. But they've spent most of the last 8-10 years telling us the story that John is the love of Natalie's life. And that's what they seem to be continuing to tell us.

• Members

Frons wasn't involved in the John restraining order stuff, that was all implied on GH in the past year, post Frons.

And Blair did a lot more than just occasionally singing as Blair, especially for a while there at her bar Capricorn--I think she has a decent voice but it became a bit of an in-joke here (especially after she filmed the bumper of her on the piano or whatever and people started commenting on how funny it would be for her to fall off the piano mid-song...)

• Members

I don't think its perception as much as that they were zooming through the Victor/Todd beats (revealing him mid-ep 2) because they only had TSJ for a very little bit of time. The Dorian Senate stuff also plugged along pretty quickly the first week. Now everything else seems comparatively super slow.

I don't think that's unreasonable at all. My tolerance for Snoop is just much higher than random musical acts in Shelter since he's such a big fan of the show & Bo in particular. With 5 eps a week, things like that that take you away from story can be fun, especially if story is not on fire. With 50 minutes a week, its like we need every second devoted to our characters.

Archived