OLTL: Tuesday May 28, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

What was the big deal of the older man and younger woman being in Shelter? Blair lives with Dorian and her much younger husband David. Rama maybe was thinking she wants that kind of experiment away from Vimal.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love James Bond. On his best day, John McBain was never even remotely James Bond.

The entire identification of the character - the image, the persona, everything is wrapped up in Easton. There's basically nothing else there. I just don't see a point.

• Members

What I found most insulting to the character of Natalie was how Marty AND Kelly had to tell John to go after her, and even then John still hemmed and hawed. If Natalie was his priority, he'd have definitively chosen her without any prodding. I don't want to see them back together unless John puts her first for once.

• Members

That wasn't the first time that happened, either. It happened when Evangeline broke up with him and she had to force him out the door. It happened when he was married to Blair and she had to talk him into divorcing and going after Marty.

People have been waiting for John to put a woman first since dinosaurs roamed the Earth. It will never happen.

• Members

Sorry I should clarify. When I say pull a James Bond, I'm referring to the fact that James Bond has pretty much been the same age for 40 years. Every time they recast him they reset his age. I feel like the show(s) - plural since this includes GH - kept writing the character of McBain in the same situations: saveaho, serial killer, best cop evah, blather, rinse repeat. He never really evolved because Fronsian alpha males weren't designed for evolution.

For the record, I'm not serious about Pelphrey. I'm not serious about any of it. I actually agree with you that McBain and ME are pretty dangerously intertwined. I'd be curious to see how a recast would work much the same way I was curious about KA playing a new character but other than that I'll leave it to the audience to decide if recasting would work or not.

• Members

DEAD.

Oh I didn't meant that John was unrecastable because of the Jolie fanbase or because he was iconic. Just that the only people who likely want him back are Jolie/ME fans and the character is just not even worth trying a recast. Move Natalie on- she's a Lord/Buchanan and the only Viki child currently on canvas- plenty of fish in the sea, plenty of story for her without him

• Members

I think Michael Easton is very good at a few things that are only largely incidental to that character. I think he was always most comfortable on OLTL doing the cop stuff with RSW, etc, which is part of why he eventually worked much better on GH for me - he got to play the adventurous cop on a show that was uniquely suited to that kind of repeated action storyline, and his morose baggage was kept to a minimum. And he has a dry humor which can be very winning. The problem is that's only about 5-10% of the character. The rest is a void to me. And the Silas Clay role now is just embarrassing to watch. He's basically doing an even more alienated John, except he has to pretend to be a doctor or something. He clearly has no idea what he's doing, because (IMO) these days he can only play a couple notes without just sounding like the same guy.

And no, they weren't suited to evolution. But John has never evolved and I don't see why I should expect the character - which was never much but "Michael Easton, as a cop" - to blossom into something new with a new actor after all this time and all that dominance which left other characters wasted. And I don't see why I should have to watch him on a show where he just never worked after the first couple years when no one else is really raring for Ryan Lavery to return to AMC. Those characters have very similar issues in terms of overexposure and stagnation. At least Ryan had a reservoir of goodwill from the very distant pre-Frons past to potentially draw upon someday. What's John got? Because ME alone isn't enough, and he hasn't been since Port Charles was cancelled.

• Members

I would LOVE to have Brody back. Mark Lawson was a real find and I hated what a [!@#$%^&*] punching bag RC made Brody. Every.Single. Kid. he had was rewritten to be someone else's. It was bullsh it.

• Members

I don't think that Dusky is going to be paired up with Jack, because Dusky is probably going to chase after Cutter now, and Jack is probably going to have a "hot for teacher" storyline with his summer school teacher Kate!

Archived