Knots Landing and Cheers finals....20 years ago May!

BKuzak

• Members

I'm sure there were other shows that ended in May 1993 but for me, these were the two big ones. Especially Cheers. Knots Landing i got into many years later but it also ended in May. Cheers ended May 20th. For me it was the first big television event that I saw. It got an even bigger farewell in the media than Cosby Show and all the other good 80's shows. It was in all the papers, bars were hosting Cheers parties (I was too young back then to enjoy that part), I even saw a blimp that had Cheers on it. It was a huge deal everywhere. I remember making sure to get a video tape to record it. They had a little flashback episode then they did the big final and then even on the news, they did Cheers segements. Then Cheers castmates were on Jay Leno that night (all drunk! LOL). I still can't beleive it was 20 years ago. Knots Landing was a big deal too because the show went 14 seasons, outlasting the big prime time soaps of the 80's like Dallas, Dynasty and Falcon Crest. It ended May 13th. They also had a flasback episode either before or after the show.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

for sure, not very often! I always liked Shelley Long's Diane. I likede Rebecca too though. My favorite was Kelly. She was just so funny. my favorite line was when she said "We want to keep Boston safe so little Woody Junior can be driven through on his way to private school." I also loved her barbie collection! The time Woody had to hide in her closet and he saw barbie body parts on the floor. She said, "Sometimes i get mad." LOL

• Members

Kelly was way too vanilla for me. I found very little enjoyment in that character. And for her to come and have Henri attached? Cancellation was not going to take too long. Sometimes, when you run out of good creative ideas, it's good to go out on top. Mash, Family Ties, etc.

Knots was on til 93? Really?

• Members

Yep, December 1979 till May 1993. Although i'm a huge Donna Mills fan so i think it should have ended in 1989. I beleive Cheers did go out on top. I heard they toyed with the idea of keeping it on with Woody running the bar (Since Ted was leaving). I even heard they went to Woody Harelson about it but he didn't think it was a good idea. I think if that happend, it might have lasted another season and then gone out.

• Members

true! I had such high hopes for that show too. Out of all of them, i thought joey would be the one to make it. Who wants to see a show all about Ross moping or Chandler's wisecracks or Rachel's whinning. Although maybe something with Phoebe could have worked.

I'm not a big Kelsey Grammer fan but his show Frasier was suprisingly good. I think that went on for too long but my fave was Niles. I also loved when they had Cheers reunions. Sam, Woody and Diane all came on at least once. I think Diane was on a couple of times. Then of course the big Cheers reunion show when Carla, Norm, Cliff and others ended up at some airport Bar and Frasier and his family went to the airport and saw them. That was great! it was Cliff's going away party but because of Frasier's speech, he ended up not moving to Florida. LOL

• Members

Kelsey is not easy on the eyes, but he was the finest actor on Cheers. However, Frasier worked with the group. The chemistry was unrivaled. Outside of the ensemble, I didn't care for Frasier at all. I tried watching the show, but it didn't click for me. Some characters are better w/in an ensemble (Kirstie excluded because she works anywhere).

• Members

The Scientologist crap is also a turnoff, too.

I believe she cited Scientology and one of its core values as the reason for not doing a guest spot on Frasier (she was the only regular Cheers cast-member to not put in an appearance on that show).

That said, I'd still take her over Shelley Long...

• Members

Yeah. She turned down $500k for a guest spot because the character she would play was to seek counseling. Scientology won't have that, so KA turned it down. Sigh...

Diane was 1/2 the character of Rebecca Howe and Shelly 1/4 the actress!

• Members

I think they missed a great opportunity for John Allen Hill to meet Diane Chambers in that final episode. Can you imagine Sam and Diane dinning at Melvills (which they did) and both John and Diane doing their "Saaaam!" accent. such fun!

Archived