AMC: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

You going on about alien invaders and wanting endless plot is what I'm talking about because you weren't addressing what I actually said, you were addressing what you imagined.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know how what I said gave you that impression (and I'm not being flip, I really have no idea how you jumped to all that over stuff you were talking about), I'm certainly not part of the soap audience that wants endless plot talk. I guess I don't consider having a job and asking someone to marry you a storyline.

See, I loved Angie and Jesse's scenes on Monday even before it got into the whole Cassandra/Taken drama. I felt those scenes were strongly written and acted. I can't say the same for the Brooke and Adam scenes we've gotten.

• Members

Exactly! Give me stories that slowly build to a climax over action and drama 24/7 any day I'd much rather have Adam & Brooke talking about their daily routine than one of Ryan's crazy siblings, Kendall & Greenlee going back and forth between friends and enemies, Erica's unaborted fetus popping up or most of the other crap that took over the last few years on ABC.

I actually couldn't disagree more. We get to meet the new Cassandra through Jesse & Angie's reactions to what has happened to her. We'll care about whether or not she's saved because they do.

• Members

What would Brooke and Adam have had to do in these past three days for you to consider that a storyline? Keep in mind we are talking about 90 minutes of episodes that need to be used to reset an entire canvas. What did you need to see from these two that you think was missing?

Because honestly, the idea that having a job or a sweet, quiet marriage proposal between two characters that have been in love forever isn't enough for a few scenes, is exactly the kind of "plot over character" mindset I was referring to.

• Members

I wanted Brooke to rob a grocery store and Adam to be Celia's pimp.

I guess I needed to see something other than "I love yous" and vague dialogue. I think saying I wanted a story is giving you the impression that I wanted a meteor to hit Pine Valley, I wanted better written dialogue and a better sense of where they are in life (aside from employment and a marriage proposal). I don't feel we got that.

• Members

I'm a more character over plot kind of viewer, but I think AMC seems slow right now. It is because it hasn't gelled yet for me in my mind. I wish the other characters in Pine Valley knew about David returning to town since the shooting. That at least would give a reason for why Brooke was having nightmares and why people were talking about what happened again. Instead it seems kind of random.

• Members

You're right, it isn't. This should have happened BEFORE Cassandra returned to Pine Valley. She should have been involved with human trafficking in Europe, escaped, and then come home. Cassandra should pretend everything's fine, but Angie and Jesse notice she isn't altogether eager to talk about whatever happened back in Europe. And all the while, Vlad and Yuri are in P.V., insinuating themselves into society, and hot on her trail.

• Members

I don't need plot, but even when nothing is going on, per se, except characters just sitting around and talking, I need to feel as if something about this-or-that character is being revealed. Claire Labine and Paul Avila Mayer were masters at this on RYAN'S HOPE, a show that could try the patience of anyone who needs every day to be like Friday.

• Members

MUCH MUCH MUCH better episode. I like the community feel with Brooke, Opal, Adam, Pete and Celia all interacting as well as David and Angie talking while Griff and Cara worried about David's return. It felt more like AMC than the first two episodes and it seems like things are finally starting to pick up.

Archived