GH 50: Discussion for the Month of April - May 3, 2013

• Members

It's moments like this one here that remind me why I continue to have a mild affection this dysfunctional community we call SON! I felt EXACTLY the same way when Maurice said that line. Not Sonny, Maurice. I felt embarrassed for him. All the Method techniques in the world couldn't save the cringe factor of that line.

:)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely! It was the dialogue that brought me into this show 13 years ago. I'll never forget Sonny going to Bobbie to talk about his recent disagreement with Carly. Bobbie yells, "Ugh! Sonny, you're such a dichotomy!" That sold me! It was smart, it was an appropriate description for the emotions Sonny was expressing and Michele Val Jean, who was script editor back then, was not afraid to let characters have a vocabulary. That was back in the days of the writing credits being at the end of the episode and I remember actually listening to the episodes instead of merely watching them. It got to the point where I could tell a Mary Sue Price script or a Michele Val Jean script because of the way they wrote confrontation, for example.

I watched this show from Guza to McTavish to Guza/Pratt back to Guza to Wolf. As soon as Carlivati came on board, there was a startling change in the quality of the dialogue and it's to a point where I'm now down to trying to find comfort in scene intentions... which is now just as difficult because, such as with what happened yesterday in the Sonny/Brenda portion, we're down to "scenes" consisting of one line of dialogue:

Sonny: So, what's this all about, Brenda? What brings you back to Port Charles?

Brenda: :)

• Members

^^^^The S&B scenes were ridiculously short. Literally one line of dialogue each.

Anyway, I thought the show was okay yesterday. I liked the Q stuff and the hospital/Liz/Audrey stuff, but honestly, the L&L stuff is lame and the S/B/C/J stuff felt out of place. I wish they had more flashbacks and left the S/B/J/C stuff to today.

MyBrenda and Sonny were fairly annoying yesterday. VM looked great, but I didn't like Brenda coming to Sonny. She really was being passive aggressive telling Sonny how much she loved him and waited for him then dropped the bomb her in Jax were engaged. It's like she wants Sonny to have a bad reaction and fight for her. She was totally overwrought describing how she waited for him. I mean, Brenda you left out the fact you were standing in the rain while waiting, right? As usual, she overplayed her hand. She should have just shown up with Jax for more shock value instead of expositing to Sonny how she has moved on. MB and VM still have chemistry, but I am sort of over them (I reserve the right to take my S&B fangirl back at anytime, though) and I don't think I can take J&B getting thrown under the bus AGAIN for S&B and Carjax. Sonny deserves Connie. And Brenda just needs to stop with this ping-ponging between Jax and Sonny. Carly, well, I don't even know who she is in love with these days except herself.

I feel like RC was too busy jamming as many returns in for this particular episode, that the actual history of the show got lost.

• Members

And that's perfectly ok as long as you are ok with those of us who actually watched this with worthless filthy retconned POS and absolutely resent him being back! Ethan is nothing to GH, and although I welcome new characters, this one did not work and will not work. Besides, Nathan is awful! The best acting he's ever done was while he said nothing and his head was hidden under a sack!

• Members

Considering the bullshit that Sonny put her through during their marriage, I've got zero problem with Queen B arriving to stick it to him about her engagement to Jax at all (same goes for Jax and that rancid incubator).

Though I'm all about S&B, I'm hoping that this is a precursor to Ron writing her as she should always be written (as opposed to the way that showkiller Guza used her as a footstool to prop lesser characters the last time) - as a woman who should and would never accept less than total and complete devotion from her true love.

• Members

Seriously. It's not even a slam on Carly. She is the only character in this quad that has no real POV. She has been in love with three different men in the matter of months, apparently. I mean, I could buy Carly's love for Jax again if it played out over more than an episode and a half. Even Sonny being upset and torn over Brenda despite loving Konnie makes sense because of the misunderstandings and randomness of Brenda popping in.

• Members

I am glad VM/Brenda seems to have a pulse this time around, but I felt her motivation in telling Sonny was manipulative. It's a classic Brenda move to try to get a reaction out of Sonny and make him jealous, but ugh.....I don't get the feeling that she is over Sonny in the least and I really wanted a happy, non-conflicted J&B. To have B torn between the two of them again is just doing a disservice to her character and Jax's. I didn't get the vibe from Jax at all that he had any romantic feelings for Carly anymore. I have to see how this plays out before making any more judgments.

• Members

The conversation with Bobbie and Carly the other day was a "look at me, I know GH's history", especially when the topic of Tony Jones came up. I didn't find that necessary. JZ and LW made it work, but it was not necessary. And call me nuts, but I thought Carly and AJ had progressed a bit passed Carly's AJ conversation. What was that?

Archived