GH 50: Discussion for the Month of April - May 3, 2013

• Members

I'll start at the worst part and end at the best part...

I knew that there was a great chance that JJ wouldn't be able to show up on the 50th anniversary episode and I'd read the spoiler yesterday, but it sure didn't make it any less disappointing to see greasy bear Ethan underneath that sac. To add insult to injury, here was Laura Spencer having a heart-to-heart with that useless retcon that never should've existed in the first place. Had it not been for the rest of the show, I'd have easily thrown my boot at the TV when Luke's no-account ass stated that greasy bear should never have to apologize for his existence - YES, THE HELL HE SHOULD, DAMMIT! And no, telling me that my JJ Lucky is in "Africa" (for once, I'd like this show to actually name a country) isn't enough for me to let this slide.

I'm not sure if this merged opening is sticking around past today, but it basically faltered at the last 15 seconds when they went from horrid opening 1 to horrid opening 2. I appreciate Frank's homage to the past, but I'm with you all who said that this should've been better. And just because I can, I'll never stop hoping that he will get a clue and revive the FOTH opening and add the new faces in because I refuse to believe that it's that hard or would cost too much money to do.

As much as I did enjoy the Q family reunion (despite my wishing that AT were reprising the role of Emily), I think that both my AJ and OG Justus should've been a part of it as well. Yes, I know that my AJ and Alan made peace in such a lovely way, but I still wanted him in a scene with both his parents. Not that I minded Rick (UO: he'd already looked old by 1981, so the current version didn't jar me as much as it did everyone else), but I'd have liked to have seen Justus (who was criminally [pun intended] marginalized by the TIIC) weigh in on the current Q discord.

Though I quickly got annoyed at the lies that Jax and the Slagbeast told in regards to their relationshit, I delighted at him serving her ass with divorce papers without flinching once. The cherry on the top was seeing that snaggletoothed skunk's face crack into a million pieces when he let her know that he was going to marry Queen B.

Speaking of my girl, I give props to whoever wrote the words to the letter that she'd left for him. Didn't know that Sonny's punk ass ripped it up after Robin gave it to him, but I love that Queen B didn't give him an inch when he tried to front about it. I also love the fact that in spite of him telling her that he moved on with Konnie that she let him know that she was engaged to Jax. So many unspoken words between the way that they'd looked at each other - words that I hope come spilling out when she hopefully delivers a verbal smackdown to him after he tells her to leave tomorrow. Much as I want an S&B reunion with every fiber of my being, Sonny is going to have to work overtime to overcome the challenge that Queen B laid in front of him in order for him to be deserving of her love again. That means putting his heart and his pride on the line - things that he should've done when she came back for him three years ago. (On a side note, the extra weight looks great on VM and makes the botched facework look less severe.)

As jarring as it was to see Steve's portrait that reminded me of the wonderful times that were once commonplace on this show be contrasted with how much the hospital scene deteriorated since his death, I admit that I'd gotten a twinkle in my heart when Emma's sperm donor spoke fondly of Alan. More importantly, I was thrilled to see Liz and Audrey reunite after years of chasing Liz's sons around Disneyworld, for it was as if time never passed between the two. I'm not sure if RA is in the best health or in the mood to act, but I'd love to see her show up once in a while to support Liz. As much as I love Laura and Anna reaching out to her, Liz does need her Grams in her life to impart those life lessons. As much as I've raked her over the coals over the years, today reminded me exactly why Elizabeth Imogene Webber is a true legacy character.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My problems with this show still rest largely with the dialogue and the editing. Scenes that last 30 seconds and consist solely of regurgitated plot points. Empty, lifeless calories.

Those scenes with Alan, Rick and Emily could have been incredibly heartfelt but I felt nothing because the dialogue was atrocious. The direction was pedestrian. And the scenes kept cutting away as soon as anyone said anything remotely "dramatic".

This crap with Helena is beyond embarrassing for all involved. It just makes them all look...old.

I liked the stuff with Liz and Audrey, beautiful acting and organic scenes. There's clearly a real affection between the actresses and that came through expertly in their comfort with each other. I hope Audrey can make it to the NB.

• Members

Why do these gorgeous women do this to themselves? I know the pressure is on to look young in Hollywood, but these women are so good looking all they need to do is tinker, not mutilate their faces. Hunter Tylo and Vanessa Marcil are the most soap notables, but Katherine Kelly Lang is following in their footsteps.

• Members

I remember when Hunter Tylo revealed her new "look". It was at an awards show (possibly the Emmys wearing a flesh colored dress), and it was so jarring. It was the talk for many weeks to follow. Absolutely awful because all the work appeared to have been done at once. It was so drastic. She could have easily gotten a role on a Batman film as The Joker. Heinous!

• Members

I seriously think it's time for Sonny to move on from Brenda and Konnie need never return. They should try Sonny and Liv. He needs some spice! Not some wishy washy little diva who can't make up her damn mind and certainly not some 1/2 crazed heifer who doesn't know who she was initially. I think Sonny and Olivia just might work and would be fun. When was the last time Sonny was in a fun relationship, if ever?

• Members

I loved the episode. It was so nice to see Alan back even if he does not look well (the extra weight made him look healthier) and I loved the group silliness. Rick Webber looked very weathered but he contributed so little. I wish he would have explained what Tracy had wrong about the Scott/Laura/Nurse in the attic thing. Emily I normally cannot stand, but this was a nice visit.

I love Helena, and I have no problem with her being a pistol packing granny. She is not a realistic character, she just needs to look good and offer villainy in full sentences. And I always liked Ethan. Again, here is someone who does not talk like he is from the street and I appreciate that. He was always charming, eloquent, and had great chem with Tony Geary.

Sonny and Brenda? This I did not like. Too melancholy, too mopey, too depressed. This is the anniversary episode Brenda, smile!

Jax and Carly? Never cared for them so I have nothing to say but Brenda does look pretty crappy being engaged to Jax while telling Sonny she would always love him and take him back.

Lovely to see Audrey and RA looks pretty good for her age. I wish she would appear more but this seems to be her choice.

Loved Patrick's monologue at the end, it reminded me of Viki's at the end of OLTL.

Great job all around.

Archived