Punky Brewster

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Okay, how many 80s kids here watched Punky Brewster?

I was a 90s kid, but I used to watch it on the Family Channel (WAY before ABC Family). I fell in love with it 20 years ago at age 4, and I have all 4 seasons on DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1obAHj4Iwr0

To this day, I still my favorite episode is Miss Adorable, where Andy Gibb hosts the Miss Adorable pageant. wub.png :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJNHt34bdZk

I'm also pretty certain that this show is half responsible for making a Cubs fan (the other half of the blame goes to WGN tongue.png ).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was a child of the 80's.. and I remember watching it on Sunday nights. Plus, I remember a lot of girls in my kindergarten class were all dressed as Punky. Also, I remember the Saturday morning cartoon with a magical furry friend as well.

I don't know if a show like this would be played on network tv. It seems like a show like this would only work in the 80s.

• Members

Today she would be an overaged Disney princess tween with a boyfriend and with a DILF as her father figure.

Punky Brewster was always a little sad for me but I did watch the show (in syndication mostly). The Challenger episode is the one I always remember most, along with the episode where Margot (loved her) lost her money (and of course got it back at the end), and the episode about the overweight girl, which I was not crazy about.

• Members

Carl, you're right, there is a certain sadness to the show. The Challenger episode of course, and Punky getting taken away from Henry, another. The one that made me upset as a kid was when Brandon was sick/injured and they didn't know if he would live. What really got me was the older black lady at the vet's office who was there with her own dog. Her dog doesn't make it and she breaks down. I guess my mother saw the look on my face and reminded me that this was "just a show". Years later, I saw that episode again and realized the actress was Beah Richards who has choked me up on more than one occasion in her television appearances.

Interesting that they're doing it now on the new Dallas.

Archived