AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though they may not all deserve or will get noms, I can see submissons from

Darnell Williams-Jesse

Eric Nelson-AJ

Denyse Tontz-Miranda

Stevie Steele-Heather

Daniel Covin-Hunter

Sal Stohers-Cassandra

Robert Scott Wilson-Pete

Brooke Newton-Colby

Jordan Lane Price- Celia

Ryan Bittle-JR

Vincent Iziarry-David

Lindsay Hartley-Cara

• Members

I think people like Greenlee would've been added soon enough. We must keep in mind that the 40 episodes that aired were written as basically 2-3 months of story had they aired under the original model of 4-episodes per week. It takes time for things to happen on soaps. Had they gone into a "season two" i have no doubt we would've seen Greenlee, Tad and many others. And I also have no doubt both shows would've continued to be great. They just got better and better, all under a very tight series of deadlines. I also think it would've been interesting to see Greenlee without her typical circle of men and Kendall. They could've re-developed the character and also, Reggie should've been recast years ago now that she reminded me of him.

• Members

I've never had a problem with Rebecca Budig. She always seems like a lot of fun IRL, a very straight shooter and a lot more fun than the show let her be for a good seven or eight years to the end of the show on ABC. The problem was that Brian Frons chained her to Ryan and kept her there. She clearly didn't like it, all but came out and screamed it often in the press - she wanted more of David and Greenlee - but did her job.

I think the new show would've given us a rejuvenated Greenlee - a bitch on wheels - but I think she needed a much longer break before they brought her in to wreck shop, and it would have to be a short run because at this point too much of certain longtime female leads on AMC changes everything about that show, and at TOLN they were developing new young talent on AMC, using a very different palette. Call it something like Rosemary Prinz, the biggest star in daytime in 1970, coming in for six months to boost AMC; you could've done that with Lucci or Budig or Minshew. It would also have to not be derivative of what the new Colby was already doing, or a potential Kendall return, or of course, the Queen Herself, Erica.

From a certain POV it's a question of what you're willing to sacrifice. (Jill Farren Phelps said no to the return of Reva on GL in the mid-'90s because she had reinvented that show, but that was the 1990s before O.J., and soon afterwards she had fucked up her own dream by driving off the writers who had made her fortune.) The double-edged sword is that appearances for Greenlee, Erica or Kendall would've guaranteed more viewers - which these shows desperately needed - but it's also an extremely tight line to balance on if you're trying to grow a new generation for the first time in ages, and reinvent the fabric of the show. Which the new show was doing, and doing very successfully IMO. OLTL would have had less of a dilemma in that sense, actually, IMO, had it ever come up - its big vets were either absent or enmeshed in very specific roles that allowed the young people to grow without being infringed upon.

Archived