AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

There is one difference, though. PP outright told the actors the show was coming back. Then when it looked like it wasn't, they could not get an answer from PP. PP might even have continued to let the actors think it was at some point. It wasn't quite like the usual process. I think the actors felt they were lied to. Plus, as I have said before, people like Debbi practically had to beg for info. It doesn't seem as though PP was straight with them even with the info that the show may not come back.I can see why that would lead to having a bad taste in your mouth.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it against the rules for the production company to pay for it? Because PP should've offered to pay. An Emmy, even a Daytime Emmy, does offer a tinge of recognition. A smart company would've used a potential nomination to leverage future projects down the road.

I said in another post that PP did things the way many tech companies do. What's unfortunate about that and why so many tech companies have failed (JMO) is that most suffered from short term thinking. The ones that are still around today, seem to be in the process of learning how to think and plan for long term goals.

The more I learn about this, the more I feel like...if only PP had employed better diplomacy. At this point, any nominations for the show would have benefitted them more than the actors, most of which have moved on to other projects. Even a Daytime Emmy would still mean something to a fledgling production company. If not for this, it would've been a mark of respect for the actors to show that, after everything, you had regard for the work that they put in.

• Members

Actors don't usually get the same show canceled twice on them, plus it sounds like PP made a lot of promises it couldn't keep or keep in a timely manner and the higher ups were terrible with communications. I have a feeling the actors felt wrung out and ready to just chuck it all after that last experience.

• Members

That is inaccurate. It isn't that it cost to submit, it is that you have to be a member of the academy to submit, but the price tag is still under $200 a year, which is nothing for an actor, even on a soap, and is tax deductible. And at least on the CBS shows, the actors do not pay to make their submission reels, that is covered by the show.

• Members

I was talking about Prospect Park in regards to All My Children. These actors don't have a support of a show or production company.

Per Emmyonline, rule PDF located here. http://cdn.emmyonline.org/daytime/daytime_41st_rulebook_full.pdf From that information it looks like people have to pay to enter.

Page 5 specifically states:

Who Can Enter? Anyone can enter! NATAS/ATAS membership is not required. Producers, designated Awards Directors, Show Contacts, or individual entrant Team Members may submit entries on behalf of their program, performer, host or craft.

NOTE:

If entering multiple categories, we strongly recommend that shows designate a main contact or “entrant shepherd” to handle submissions and general communication with the Daytime Administration during the contest period.

If you are entering a Series into a team award Program or Craft category, in most cases the submission will be represented by one episode. The entrant must include all eligible team members on the entry form, even if they did not work on the submitted episode. Please refer to the By-Category Submission Guide document for by-category eligibility determination.

And from Page 8....here is the price schedule...

Entry Fees Program Categories: 1-20 Early Deadline (Completed By December 20, 2013): $400. Final Deadline (By January 17, 2014): $425 New Approaches and Short Format Program Categories: 21, 22, 23: Early Deadline (Completed By December 20, 2013): $300. Final Deadline (By January 17, 2014): $325 All Performer, Host and Craft Categories: Entries containing One Team Member: Early Deadline (Completed By December 20, 2013): $175. Final Deadline (By January 17, 2014): $200 Small Entrant Teams - 2-3 Team Members: Early Deadline (Completed By December 20, 2013): $250. Final Deadline (By January 17, 2014): $275 Large Entrant Teams - 4 or more Team Members: Early Deadline (Completed By December 20, 2013): $400. Final Deadline (By January 17, 2014): $425

• Members

I don't see why the young actors would not pay. Especially for them, IMO, they should submit as it has a chance of doing some boosting of their career. No matter what some folks may have thought of Sal Stower's performance, she made a mistake not submitting, IMO.

• Members

Well Michael Logan did say that a lot of Prospect Park actors submitted, so despite the omissions, there could've been more nominations. I think they were just snubbed by the network people. It was easier for the younger actors to burst through since they have less competition. I feel like these shows will be completely snubbed when it comes to the Directing, Writing and Best Show categories and that is a damn shame. I feel BOTH shows have episodes that merit nominations in all 3 categories if the shows were being judged on their actual merit and not the drama surrounding Prospect Park.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I was hoping that AMC 2.0 would spawn another Julia Barr/David Canary type of actor that would remain on the series for 30 + years. I guess if the show returns she might be one of those type. I do wonder though if they looked for qualities that showed that kind of loyalty when they were doing the casting.

Archived