AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

Although thats not as insane as someon on TVline saying the following:

I don’t care about Agnes Nixon’s heart breaking. Her greed, stupidy and stubbornness robbed both AMC and OLTL of proper burials on ABC. And characters from both could have been brought over to GH.

Comment by EJ – November 11, 2013 06:14 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

Responses

1)

• Her GREED? You do realize that PP leased the shows from ABC right? ABC had the rights, ABC is making the money by leasing the shows.

Comment by Katie – November 11, 2013 06:54 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

2)

• Get your facts straight before you take Agnes’s name in vein.

Comment by Megyn – November 11, 2013 08:59 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, if ABC had any interest in keeping the shows on the air, they would've helped PP pay for them online.

I love Cady!

ICAM! I thought the online version of AMC was terrific, easily the best this show had been in a decade, and it gave me hope that when people who care about the soaps in are charge the genre is still viable. I also think with PP holding the rights they will eventually find a way to bring these shows back again once they've secured the proper funding.

• Members

It won't matter if they don't have competent upper management. AFAIC the teams at the two shows themselves weren't really the problem - those people worked their hearts out, and even with OLTL's many hasty last-minute rewrites and hiccups they still got a decent show on. It was the higher management at the company.

We'll see what happens. I don't think we've heard the last of these shows, at least not in some shape or form, however short-term. I used to think it would be at least five or ten years for a re-appraisal, then we had the GH merger, then the PP revivals. I'd be more willing to write it off for a decade if these shows hadn't been good, hadn't worked content-wise or production-wise. But AMC was fantastic and OLTL was either decent or great on any given day, and they both looked better than GH, frankly. So now I think all bets are off. I don't think they'll ever be back on the network daily, five days a week, year-long, or even necessarily on TV at all. Or running as themselves, as they have this year. But I think we'll see those places and people again soon enough.

• Members

I'll be interested to hear what the actors think after things have calmed down a bit (assuming the soap press ever lets that happen). One of the things I find notable so far is that actors have been outspoken all along about believing that PP wanted these projects to succeed. They clearly felt supported and like there was a real commitment. That obviously wasn't the case with ABC. It took a little while after cancellation but slowly the actors began to tell just how awful ABC treated them and these shows. They were like battered spouses finally getting to testify about what life was like.

It seems a lot of people have forgotten but ABC ground these shows and these people into dust without so much as breaking stride. Which is why I am astounded by the people who are frothing at the mouth for the chance to drag these folks back to hell. It's truly amazing to me how people who can remember every one of Erica Kane's weddings can't remember how badly ABC shafted these shows just a few years ago and are now clapping like seals for ABC to get the rights back.

My wish list is that PP gets to keep the rights, they obtain new funding contingent on major changes to management and they work out a deal with Netflix and Hulu for drops of 30-40 one-hour episode seasons every couple of months in telanovela style arcs that tape in NYC not Stamford (that's just my own pro-NYC bias coming into play.) Not that I think it will happen. I'm just putting it out into the universe to counter the other stuff.

• Members

Dream those big city dreams, marceline.

I can't knock 'em though, because I feel the same. But I suspect anything like that would have to involve a new agreement with ABC or Disney at least in terms of possible financing. I don't think Ted Turner is going to fall out of the sky for this.

• Members

I shouldn't speak for every viewer who might feel this way, but I believe it has less to do with wanting them back on ABC and more to do with wanting ABC to admit they made a mistake in canceling them in the first place.

• Members
ABCD would cancel GH before they would ever admit that they made a mistake in canceling AMC and OLTL.

I hope that the actors, directors, writers and crews are able to find new projects and employment in other venues of the entertainment industry. They can not continue to keep holding onto something that isn't getting the financial support it needs to continue to thrive, develop and move on into this century.

Archived