AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On her LinkedIn page Lisa Connor states that she co-wrote a 6-month story projection for AMC.

Doing a 6 month projection for PP, where things change every other week (at a minimum), seems rather pointless. Do the remaining network soaps even do long term story projections anymore? I got the sense that ended a while ago and that they more or less write on a week-to-week basis.

Since it's PP I'm going to assume LC & CH were given a heads up re: the shift to telenovela format after they finished the projection and now it's all being re-worked whilst they reportedly immerse themselves in foreign soaps.

• Members

Yeah, they need to have projections from beginning to end so they can plan this, plot it out and then we won't have to worry about any pacing issues. The biggest problem with these shows is how rushed they were so they had to work out the kinks on screen. In the age of social media, we don't allow much room for mistakes or learning, so I'd prefer they have things in line before hand. I definitely don't want the fly-at-the-seat-of-your-pants approach of network soaps.

• Members

I wonder is that six months going to be broken into parts? Like basically two seasons and three months of story each or one long six month season? I am curious how they'll handle things going forward.

I'm with Chris. I totally understand that it was this first time and they basically pulled off a miracle but this time they have to have a plan that works and stick with it.

I am so not here again for every couple of weeks disaster would strike via a poorly timed press release (we would get that email days or weeks later).

I mean to be fair we did literally watch them do this in front of us and again to be fair they don't owe any of us any memos or press releases. We just expect to know everything.

• Members

My initial thought was "woohoo!"

I think a huge part of what damaged the daytime soaps was the lack of long-term story direction.

ICAM! Regardless of how many months they air uninterrupted, they need to have the stories plotted out beforehand.

Archived