Only in Kentucky

Matt

• Members

So, yesterday, with the temps in the mid-50s and the sun shining (a nice late March day in January), we're issued a Snow Advisory. :huh:

Low and behold, I wake up this morning and it's snowing -- and we're expecting a couple of inches.

Last month, it was in the 60s once day, and snowed the next.

Only in KY can you get all four seasons in less than 7 days. :blink:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maryland has gone through all the seasons this winter. Yesterday, we had rain and wind, then in the afternoon it got sunny and temps went up into the 60s. Now the rain and wind are back, and this weekend, it's only going to be in the 40s. The next three days it'll be sunny, but only in the 30s.

The good thing is, no snow! If I can get through February and March with no snow or ice, the 30s won't bother me at all.

• Members

My part of Tennessee is the same way. We have a saying around here "If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes."

I can remember many years ago while I was in college in West Tennessee that we had a day where it was almost 70 in the middle of winter and we were all going around the campus in our short sleeves. Of course there weren't too many TV's in the dorm rooms back then and we didn't see weather. Not that we would have watched the weather if we had a TV in our room. But anyway you usually just got up the next morning and opened your window to see what the weather was. Well that next day I woke up late and was in a hurry. I just put on the similar attire I had worn the next day and headed off to class. Well I got the biggest shock of my life when I got down to the front door and found we had gotten 8 inches of snow and it was still coming down. It was the first time in the history of the college that classes were cancelled. I think it surprised them too. All the students (except married ones) lived on campus but the teachers didn't.

We're having a similar winter here as everyone else is having. It sure makes it hard when you do get these cold spells like today because your body just isn't used to them esp. this old body. LOL

• Members

So true Matt. January in Kentucky was warm. Here in Clarkson (1 hour 15 min. southwest of Louisville, 2 hours southwest of Lexington, BTW) we had only one day in January with a high in the 30s. For the rest of the month it was very warm: 8 days in the 40's, 12 days in the 50's, 9 days in the 60's, and 1 in the 70's. February looks to be the exact opposite here.

Kentucky weather truly is like the saying "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change."

Being the weather buff that I am :D , a few years back I got a 'Kentucky Weather Rock' a few years back at a local craft festival. It is a piece of tree trunk with a stick coming out of it that has a rock hanging from it from a string.

According to the note taped to the stick:

If the rock is:

Warm=Sunny

Wet=Rainy

Whte=Snow

Swinging=Windy

Bouncing=Earthquake

Gone=Tornado

:lol:

The weather has been so screwed up here in Kentucky lately, that I have heard of trees budding, flowers sprouting and blooming, flies swarming around outside, people mowing their lawns, and other things along those lines.

Didn't New Orleans get hit with a tornado the other day?

Come to Kentucky then Dan! We had snow this morning, and are expecting more later in the week and again next weekend.

• Members

I am reminded of the old commerical (for margarine, perhaps?) where 'Mother Nature' was sitting outside eating something, and then she said "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"

Anyone remember that commerical? I think it was from the late '70's. It was on TV Land awhile back as one of their 'Retromericals'.

Archived