DAYS: Episode # 8067 (6/24/97) will air on Friday 11/23! First-ever "classic" episode airing on NBC

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have next to nothing nothing positive to say about Tom Langan, but I've gotta give him props for the effort he put forth re. "Days'" visual quality. Honestly, I've never been very fond of "Days'" sets, but TL made sure there was such a variety of sets and Salem really looked like a town. And establishments looked much more authentic on "Days" than any other soap, save for OLTL, IMO. I'm looking forward to watching this episode later in pristine quality because I'm so curious to evaluate the production values. And ya, the production values now are so lackluster, but I see an immense improvement with this production team; when GT was EP, the show truly couldn't have looked worse.

• Administrator

I agree that the episode where Kristen gets busted should've been shown because this episode was just the build up. Oh well, I can just watch the storyline online anyway.

That Susan/Secret Room storyline had so many layers and involved so many characters. You had your lead characters and you had your supporting characters who played big parts in the storyline. And it was an 8 month storyline: from Susan arriving in November 1996 to Kristen getting busted in June 1997. Kristen lies were exposed after 1.5 years of scheming. The long build up of this storyline was a big reason why the reveal week got the highest ratings in the 90's. It was also the end of the 5 year build up to John/Marlena's reunion. Soaps these days, just don't have the long term vision anymore - you can barely say, "That storyline connected to that storyline...and that storyline happened because of that storyline....."

Even though the "rooting couples" were rarely together, I loved how Reilly always showed you who the characaters truly loved by having the characters having romantic/love making fantasies, or dreams. It was a way to please the couple-fanbases without having the characters really be together. I really liked that writing tactic.

90's Kristian, Krista, Renee were so hot!!! :wub:

• Members

DAYS sets have always had a very dated 80's flare to them, even as the years progressed and new sets came along.

The Salem Place set was one of their best sets ever though, and would be much more useful today than that cheap and plastic-looking Horton Townsqaure set they over-use these days.

Langan did put more effort into the show's production than anyone else who came after though. However, this 1997 episode didn't hold up as well in terms of tape quality as the GH episodes SoapNet aired yesterday from the 90's or the 2002 Y&R episode that aired today to me. It didn't have the same timless quality to it, it felt like a relic of that era, and it wasn't just Reilly's writing.

• Members

Wow, I really enjoyed watching that repeat episode today. Wish I was old enough to watch then. What ever became of that creepy suave guy who was lusting after Hope? LOL at that scene where he told Hope to come with him, and in his head he said to himself "To my hotel room" laugh.pnglaugh.png

I loved the music composition too. LOVED that little cue/sting that played at the end of the scene where the interpol agent turned on Bo. I would kill to here that play on current DAYS.

• Members

I agree, looking at DAYS from back then didn't hold up well, in terms of production values. I think they were always better with moody lighting at night though. Give me a 1996 Aremid episode during those endless nights and it would probably still look nice.

Y&R re-aired a 2002 episode? Damn, didn't TiVo it.

Archived