What happened to Victoria Rowell on Y&R?

• Members
Id be perfectly fine if Twitter would go away and Ive said as much in the past but unfortunately its ingrained in our culture and people here flock to it and post the latest ramblings of almost anyone, not just Victoria Rowell. Ive learned to accept it as thats not something that can be avoided or changed around here. That would be like saying no more posting on what a star says on Twitter. Not gonna happen

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People can talk about what they want. That was my point. I get the feeling with VR discussions that people would much rather talk about her being crazy than they would about whether some of what she says or feels is right. When it starts to veer in the latter direction, then we start hearing about shut the thread down, not this again, I'm done.

VR has a very complicated history in daytime. She's never just going to be a crazy woman on Twitter. She will always elicit different responses from fans. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying you should not talk about how you feel about her.

• Members

It has nothing to do with if what she is saying is right. What no one knows that there is racism in Daytime? Is she the only person who knows this? Did she invent it? Were we all born yesterday? Why on earth should anyone with a half a brain get drawn in a debate about the obvious? Okay, the earth revolves around the sun. How about wasting time debating that?

• Members

I think people know there's racism in daytime, but I don't see this as any more played out than talking again about her tweets being crazy. I see it as all being lumped together. I felt like there was some sort of push on how you're supposed to discuss one, but not the other. If that wasn't happening, then my apologies.

I'm probably not going to talk about this anymore anyway, so I'll again apologize to everyone, and to myself for getting in this mess at all.

• Members

But we talk about racism in Daytime all the time on SON and have been so doing for years. Hell, even the posters on SoapCentral, so many people are always scoffing at talk about it. None of the online fans or boards ever have ignored the issue.

The issue with VR is that she quit her job, made accusations about racism, and wants to go back to her old job. Her periodic outbursts on Twitter come off as total self-interest rather than genuine concern about diversity in Daytime. As I pointed out earlier on the thread, if she cared about issues of diversity, she could with the NAACP and Sony/CBS to created a program to train and promote people of color in various areas of the industry when she was at CBS for all those years. Even now, she could still do this, but instead all she does is lash out on Twitter. She is all talk and no action.

Are the comments about her mental health flip, glib, even insulting sure, but it does not mean that they are not valid. We live in society when people with mental illness are all around and we ignore or shrug off the symptoms. Something is off about how she publicly lashes out, her inability to cope with reality, and the consequences of quitting her job.

Archived