"Never Been Done Before...on Daytime"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG, why did my mind immediately go to Myrtle? This would have been an amazing story for her. Erica keeps trying to visit over at the hoarding boarding house but Myrtle keeps saying, no, she'll meet Erica at her place. Yadda yadda, Erica shows up unannounced one day, whole story on how she has no boarders and is lonely even with Erica in her life, Rae and Skye aren't around, she doesn't have many years left, she ran a stylish boutique for heaven's sake, lovely, heartbreaking final s/l for EH... :(

Conversely, imagine Phoebe going all Grey Gardens and doing the same at Tyler/Wallingford manor, creating little trails for her Hoveround...

• Members

Yuk...although certainly meets the requirements of the thread, I think the bestiality and consensual incest would be far too extreme for my taste.

The electrolarynx...interesting characteristic, but a storyline?

The gay exorcism? I think this could've been fascinating...Erica tried to have Bianca saved, esp. back when she first wasn't quite so accepting...and Myrtle finally helps her accept it, having known many gay people from her carny days. (??)

• Members

Erica: "Myrtle, we need to talk."

Myrtle: "Yes, darlin'...?"

Erica: "I've been noticing all of these things piling up in your house. I mean, you have stacks of your carnival clippings and confetti from over 30 years ago...and was that your old chum, the bearded lady, I saw in your kitchen? You're starting to hoard people now, too? You need help."

Myrtle: "Erica, right before Mona passed she made me promise to be a second mother to you. She was my best friend and I keep my word. I'M not the one who needs to be talked to like I'm a teenager!"

Erica: "Well, my goodness. Myrtle, please. This hurts me. I'm only trying to help you. I love you and you know I've dealt with addiction myself. This is also addiction and I'm not going to sit on my laurels and watch you self-destruct."

[Myrtle breaks down into tears]

Myrtle: "Oh, God, darlin'! Why does it have to be like this?! I really do hate this! I just feel so alone... even with the bearded lady."

Erica: "Brooke's here?"

Emmy for Eileen Herlie!

• Members

The "consensual incest" idea came from the Mackenzie/John Phillips story that Mackenzie revealed a few years back. Extreme, indeed, but I could totally see a soap ripping something like that from the headlines, of course if the networks would let them get away with it. It may be something more safely told as a past event, not something that played out before our eyes.

The bestiality idea came from that documentary from a few years back, with the married couple who both had a relationship with their pony. And I will leave it at that, not even in the mood for relaying the details right now. :lol:

GL did a story about a man who had cancer of the larynx that was miraculously cured. There was a scene where the doctor described the laryngectomy to him and how he'd have to talk with an electrolarynx. So yeah, it would be more of a characteristic, but there's room for a storyline leading up to it.

• Members

Didn't Zas use some kind of speaking machine (I'm horrible at knowing the proper names for such tools) when he returned to OLTL as David Renaldi shortly before his death? I remember seeing some clips of him having to use a computerized voice, though that might have just been a "type and talk" thing.

Myrtle crossed my mine in regards to the hoarding storyline, but the one I was really thinking about was Nancy Hughes. I could totally imagine the reason for her living with Bob and Kim being because the classic Hughes home was cluttered with decades worth of stuff.

Have any soaps done a storyline where siblings fight for custody of one's child? My dream storyline for OLTL's Jess and Nat (along with Brody and Jared) was for Natalie to take custody of Jess's kids after the courts determine her DID is harming her kids. That's the type of true-life drama that would have me hooked into a show completely.

Of course, OLTL did its legendary story with Carla/Clara in the late 60s, but what about a modern story that addresses the issue of blacks who "want to be white" and whites who "want to be black," including those who refuse to date someone of their own race/associate with their own family, etc. That's the type of story that could be told once every ten years and be substantially different every time.

Archived