TV Shows You Watched In Spite of the Lead Character(s)

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

Note: This isn't necessarily a breakout character thread, as I'm sure there are quite a few TV shows where the lead was the most popular where some viewers (unpopularly?) preferred other characters anyway.

Ever liked a show in spite of the lead character (especially if the show was centered around him or her) either because you were underwhelmed by or couldn't stand the character?

If so, what or who was the show's saving grace that kept you from changing the channel and never looking back?

The first show that comes to mind for me is Gossip Girl, as I was (and am) underwhelmed by the chick that was supposed to be the center/star of the show - as well as the two guys that they'd originally propped up to be her leads. The reason can be summed up in two words: Blair Waldorf.

The second show that comes to mind is Mad Men, as there isn't a single character on that show (OK, save for the much-missed Sal Romano) that I can stand. The reason why I've been hooked on this show for as long as I have is because of the near pitch-perfect writing, though last season's obsession with Megan tried my patience.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dawsons Creek is prob one of the leading examples. Dawson was basically universally hated and by season 3 much more of a supporting player.

Aside from that one, for me, Buffy is the next main contender here. I hated buffy, but i loved the show.

One Tree Hill with Lucas is another big one for me.

• Members

Will & Grace for me. Jack and Karen were why that show was a hit.

And though I never hated Buffy, she is far from my favourite in the Buffyverse of characters.

And as for current shows, Boardwalk Empire is the epitome of this for me. I HATE Nucky (and Steve Buscemi, whose appeal I don't understand), but I love almost everyone else, especially the characters they killed off last season which I'm still pissed about.

• Members

Thinking of the shows that I watched over the years, I have to agree that Dawson's Creek is the one show that definitely qualifies. I HATED Dawson with as much intensity as I loved Pacey. I rooted for Pacey to win Joey and my only regret is that he never got to beat the [!@#$%^&*] out of Dawson. I stuck with that horrible show into the fourth season because of my Pacey love. To this day, I have affection for Joshua Jackson because of Pacey.

• Members

I'm with y'all on Buffy.

And while I never disliked Anna Torv/Olivia on Fringe, in the beginning I found her kind of dull (and had a hard time not comparing her physically to Poppy Montgomery) but the show's premise, stories and the other characters kept me watching. Anna grew on me.

I do get a little tired sometimes of the Winchester brothers on Supernatural (esp. Dean) but I enjoy supernatural-themed shows--but this show needs to stop killing off its supporting characters. Yeah, I get it--it's supernatural and people die and come back (like soaps) but it's overkill (pun intended).

Archived