TV Shows You Watched In Spite of the Lead Character(s)

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

Six Feet Under - I grew to loathe Nate after the first few seasons but I watched for the others.

China Beach - I despised self-righteous, shrewish McMurphy (who every man had to fall in love with) in the last two seasons and watched for everyone else.

Buffy - popular choice clearly.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw this yesterday and within moments The Killing came to mind. I can't claim to have watched all of the episodes but even though I didn't think they showed enough to make me curious about who killed Rosie, I watched and discovered that I didn't like a single character on that show. Yet somehow I was annoyed by the first season finale that seemed to make Holder a part of the murder.

The character for which I should have had the most empathy, Mitch, was probably the character for which I had the most disdain at one point.

Then I started to try to think of a show on which I did like the main character and kept drawing a blank until I remembered my inexplicable fascination with Raylan Givens--Justified.

I didn't like Buffy either but I did like her with Angel--especially on the crossover episode because she was vulnerable and likeable with him.

• Members

I never really realized people viewed Kate as a Lead character. The lead female, sure, but id say she was below Jack and Locke, and on par with Michael (early on), Swayer, and Ben (later on). She was awful though. I know a lot of lost fans hate Jack but he is one of my favorite characters ever.

• Members

True Blood: Can't stand Sookie, Bill and Eric, but I love most of the other characters.

Grey's Anatomy: Never cared for Meredith and Derek, especially during seasons 1-3.

Dawson's Creek: Dawson was intolerable. Mainly watched for Pacey, Jen, Joey and Audrey.

Lost: I couldn't stand Jack, Locke, Sawyer, Kate and Ben. Still I watched it until the very end.

Six Feet Under: Nate bothered me a lot. Although I didn't him find that bad when I watched the show for the third time. Claire and Ruth were my favorites.

Roswell: Max and Liz were so boring. My favorite was Isobel until she was ruined in season 3.

Melrose Place (remake): Couldn't stand Ella, she always seemed so fake to me. I didn't like Katie Cassidy's way of portraying that character. I watched nevertheless for nostalgic reasons.

Brothers & Sisters: I hated Kitty, that obnoxious shrew, with a passion.

ER: Abby and Carter. The show had at least 13 regulars, but it was all about them (and Luka) come season 8. All the other characters only had secondary plots, appeared for like 10 seconds every episode or missed many episodes in a row. That eventually made me tune out for good at the beginning of season 11.

Archived