Your favorite/best murder mystery/ending

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Going WAY back....

The Stephanie Martin murder mystery on Edge Of Night. It had everything... a victim who really deserved it, many plausible suspects, a great trial, and the beginnings of a great romance (Adam Drake/Nicole Travis).

Runner-up: The Tad Channing murder on As The World Turns.

• Members

Frankly, these types of stories were what Edge excelled at and was the bread and butter of that show.

Other, more traditional soaps, however? I tend to think murder mysteries are a sure sign that a writer is unoriginal, out of ideas, and is a pure hack. These types of stories seem to be a last resort when a writer has no idea what to do with a set of characters on the canvas.

A VERY forced umbrella story, if you will....

• Members

EDGE was basically a great big cleverly written series of murder mysteries throughout its entire run. LOL. And I've said it before, of all the cancelled soaps that deserves a comeback in some capacity, it's this one. Other than that, I really enjoyed THE LOVING MURDERS. It too was nicely written and was very creepy with the clicking noises signaling the killer's presence. The dark and creepy opening credits that the show used for the storyline was perfect.

• Members

The Keith Whitney murders on "The Edge of Night". A riveting murder mystery yarn that played out over a year, penned by one of the best mystery writers ever: Henry Slesar. There were so many twists and turns involving everyone on the canvas. And the introduction of the Whitney family was genius, brought to life by powerful, riveting actors.

I agree. The man was a genius.

• Members

Same.

The "Salem Strangler" tale was/is a good example of taking a blah story and making good out of it. IIRC, Gary Tomlin and Michelle Poteet Lisanti had begun the story with the mysterious phone calls to Marlena, but the story was tepid and had no real purpose (or so I've read). It was their successor, Pat Falken Smith, who used it (along with the introduction of the Brady and DiMera families) to revive interest in the show.

Archived