When did MAB jump the shark? Y&R

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once the Chipmunk story/Adam tormenting Sharon and Ashley/Phillip is gay and faked his death zzzzz ... that's when I stoped watching. I enjoyed most of her early tenure and really enjoyed the Marge/Katherine story. I like that she brought back a lot of past favorites and somewhat mined history, but overall, the last few years have been a disaster. The cast is bloated with soap refugees who's characters are ill-defined and the rest of the cast are treated like jokes, save for a few. MAB also seems to hold grudges against actors (Case/Muhney) and lets it affect the writing. Sharon's destruction has been so painful to watch. And what's Jack's purpose anymore? Not to mention Victoria and Nicholas are pathetic shades of their former selves, who I could have seen go after Newman and Victoria used to be someone who could hold her own and fight back. I also hate how MAB writes Billy, and the way they let Billy Miller play him as some joke. Not to mention the ridiculous misuse of Olivia, Neil ... the terrible recastings of Diane and Malcolm. Ugh. Maura West deserved much better.

I like that she revisted Phyllis's past but it made everyone but Phyllis seem like a villain. Sigh.

I also resented the way she killed off Brad and Colleen, making it impossible for either character to be resurrected. Poor Traci. BTW, I can't remember who killed off John? Was it Latham or MAB? I think it was Latham but I just don't remember. That was also a dumb decision.

• Members

I never thought I would get to a point where I don't enjoy MS' Phyllis anymore, but I am there. They have put her and Vic on too much at the expense of others.

You are spot on: there are too many new/young characters.

I FF any scene involving Genevieve, Cane/Lily, Devon, Neil/Sophia/Harmony every time and sometimes others.

I would love for Dru to come back and to see more scenes of Leslie as the primary attorney character on the show. (I also like Avery.) I wish I liked Heather more than I do because she is being portrayed by a former ATWT actress. I still miss ATWT and GL so much.

• Members

Soap refugees. Exactly. I think a better balance could have been made so that Y&R still looked like Y&R. I heard the present casting director was AMC's former CD but I don't know if that is true.

I have seen it happen so many times when an actor or an actress just didn't work and was quickly let go, yet how many times has Genevieve's character been retooled? She just does not fit in at Y&R, imo.

I think MAB liked Muhney and that is why Adam was never held accountable. I think she caters to Eric Braeden which is why Sharon and Victoria and Nikki and Jack have been reduced to what they are now. I like Billy but hated the speech he gave at Nikki and Jack's wedding. That was a WTH? moment. I haven't cared much for Nick since he bedded Phyllis and Avery within a matter of days.

• Members

According to wikipedia, Engen's last airdate was 6/24/09 and Muhney's first airdate was 6/25/09.

Ashley fell down the stairs and lost her baby 6-5-09, according to CBS recaps.

Adam's seduction of Rafe began on 6-26-09: "As Adam hides the wig and dress he used to impersonate Sabrina, he talks to Hope about how much of a disappointment he has been. Before Adam can hide the box, however, Rafe shows up at Adam’s door. Rafe confronts Adam about his suspicions. Adam panics when Rafe starts searching his room for evidence. Just as Rafe is about to discover Adam’s secrets, Adam does the only thing he can think of to stop him. Adam reaches out and touches Rafe’s face seductively and admits to Rafe that he has feelings for him."

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_young_and_the_restless/episodes/25735

I think there have been flashbacks of Muhney's Adam in the purple dress...

• Members

Patty killing Zapato. I haven't watched regularly since. Call me a crazy PETA person, but for me that was a low for the show. And I had enjoyed the softness that the dog brought to Victor.

And Phillip returning from the dead, which was ridiculous enough, but I was at least expecting some great scenes from Jess Walton and we got NONE of that.

Archived