Unpopular Opinions - Movies Edition

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

(Because I felt like copying the other unpopular opinions threads that are going on right now....tongue.png)

I still enjoy Tom Cruise's Xenu-worshipping, couch-jumping ass. He commits 210% when it comes to acting the part the public megastar that he is (or used to be) and that's something I miss in this age of "I'm just like regular folks" Hollywood stars that we've got running around.

I haven't the foggiest clue why Hollywood is trying to make Bradley Cooper happen, as he has this asshat vibe that keeps him from ever being the sexy or cute that is needed to make a heartthrob happen.

I think that Jennifer Lopez is a better actress that many give her credit for and believe that she'd be a lot more respected if such if she hadn't gone off the rails with her JLo career move/persona.

I never understood the proclamation that Lindsay Lohan was/is a great actress. Did she have a bright future once upon a time until she squandered it away? Sure, but I surely didn't think that she was going to be the next Jodie Foster, as I found her merely serviceable.

More to come...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like these threads. smile.png Maybe someone should start an unpopular opinion thread about music too, lol.

Here are some of my opinions:

I think that Julia Roberts is overrated in many categories, lol.

I think that Robert Downey Jr, is worthy of a sexiest man alive title. Despite his many years of hard living, he still looks good, IMO. I would have rather seen him get the title the year that Ryan Reynolds won. And I wish that someone like Ryan Gosling would have gotten it in place of Bradley Cooper. Neither Ryan Reynolds or Bradley Cooper really appeal to me.

I think that George Clooney is overrated..

I don't think that Chris Rock is a good actor. I think that he's a good comedian but a weak actor. Martin Lawrence is a better comedic actor IMO, and I think that Martin can also pull off the "straight man"/serious man sometimes. I think that Martin can pull off a straight/more serious character also better than Eddie Murphy. Also, the only movie I found Eddie Murphy sexy in was "Coming to America".

I thought that Diddy showed some acting chops in the TV movie version of "A Raisin in The Sun." I remember hearing that he practiced pretty hard for that role, and I thought he actually was decent in the lead role for that movie.

I'm not enamoured with Meryl Streep.(Though Hollywood sure is). I know that she's been around for a long time and has had many memorable roles, but I don't care for her as much as Hollywood does.

Some movies that I've seen that turned out to be better than I thought they would be:

Where the Heart is (It was decent).

The Notebook (It was romantic)

The Hot Chick (It was actually kind of funny, lol.)

I thought that "Legends of the Falls" was a pretty good movie. When it first came out and I saw previews for it, I didn't think it would be that good. But several years later I saw it and thought it was pretty good. It really didn't focus that much on the love triangle, but actually focused more on the relationship between the brothers and their father.

I think that Eric Bana looked sexier in "Troy" than Brad Pitt did.

I think that Edward Burns and Colin Firth are two men who are underrated in the sexiness department. I don't think that they have gotten enough credit for being sexy by Hollywood, lol. I think that Colin Firth has been pretty sexy in the past, he was much sexier/appealing than Hugh Grant's character in the Bridget Jones Movies IMO.

• Members

More movie UOs:

Marilyn Monroe has got to be the single most overrated actress/celebrity of all time. Never got the fascination with what was essentially a chick popularizing a dumb blonde stereotype, so why she is revered is beyond me.

I don't think that Rock Hudson got enough credit for his acting skills. Sure, he was praised for being ruggedly handsome and having great screen presence, but I've never heard anyone compliment him on his talent for being able to do both comedy and drama very well.

Since I'm on the subject of not getting one's due, I don't think that Jack Lemmon got enough when it came to his dramatic acting skills. For the most part, he's remembered as a great comedic actor, but I thought he was just as talented at handling heavy material (see: The Days of Wine and Roses).

I don't find Halle Berry as horrible an actress as most believe her to be. Is she anywhere near as great as, say, Alfre Woodard? No, but I think that she's capable of stepping up to the plate when the material demands it of her.

Over the past few years, I've discovered Eric Roberts as an actor. Not the straight to video/DVD crap that he's done for the past twenty or so years, but the early stuff that he'd done such as Star 80 and The Pope of Greenwich Village. I know his battle with drugs did in what was primed to be a great career, but it still annoys me to see the untalented sibling go on to worldwide fame while the actual talent gets guest supporting roles here and there.

• Members

I'm tired of moviemaking that is all about expecting a sequel, and a franchise. I will not see any films which do this. I just don't care.

I have never seen the Stars Wars or Lord of the Rings movies. Not because of any taste issue - again, I just don't care.

I think the last Star Trek was badly cast, with wooden, worthless Chris Pine and one-note Zachary Quinto who mostly did a Leonard Nimoy impersonation. The whole movie, by the always grindingly mediocre JJ Abrams, was warmongering sleaze.

Judd Apatow movies are popular mostly because they hide under a "cool" or "outsider" mindset when they are really about Hollywood's most popular topic - women, gays, and minorities stay in their place, while ugly men (and Paul Rudd, whose once-interesting career will now be remembered as an anti-gay joke) reign supreme.

If I can say any good thing about Judd Apatow it's pushing against the idea that it is a scandal to show a penis in a movie. Wow, look, it's Jason Segal's cock. How shocking. OK. It looked nice enough. Now we can move on.

It's time to end the prick-teasing regarding whether so and so actress will show anything. I don't understand how this helps box office. Horny straight men can go see T&A anywhere. Why would they need to see Jessica Beil's ass CGI-ed? Why would they care whether Jennifer Aniston may or may not show her breasts or more?

I think the Very Very Serious, navel-gazing leading men of 70's films crippled movies. I don't care about seeing Al Pacino/Robert Redford/Robert de Niro/Dustin Hoffman/Paul Newman looking forlorn and suffering nobly. I think this just further opened the door for mindless movies and helped lead to the situation today where we have no genuine leading men, because the public ended up flocking to the likes of Arnie and Stallone.

I think Easy Rider is a bad acid trip, a cheap movie, and not worth the hype. I think the portrayal of Southerners as dumbass hicks who go out of their way to find and shoot these "heroes" is offensive and shows just how mainstream this supposed counterculture movie is.

I don't understand why Julia Roberts continues to get hype. She has not had a successful movie in years. Most people do not like her or care about her. She should have been banished with Meg Ryan.

Robert Downey Jr. has given the same performance in every movie for longer than I care to remember.

I would rather watch the much-maligned Fantastic Four movies than the supposedly higher quality Marvel films of the last few years, which are often plodding, miscast, and impotent.

Ryan Reynolds is one of the blandest, least talented "stars" ever, which is saying something, considering recent years of movies.

The only reason Hollywood goes wild over Clint Eastwood or George Clooney movies is because they personally like the two of them, not because their movies are of any quality. I think the arrogance of Clooney has become ridiculous - I cringed when I saw him lecturing Viola Davis over black actors and actresses.

Anything Tom Hanks made before the maudlin and insulting Philadelphia and Forrest Gump is far better than anything he's made after.

• Members

I miss Winona Ryder and am still rooting for her to come back to the movies strong. (If Robert Downey, Jr's ass can do it, I certainly don't see why she can't)

Since I'm on the subject of Winona Ryder, I'll offer two spinoff off UOs:

Reality Bites was one of the most overrated movies of my lifetime. I say 'lifetime' because that movie has been hyped up as being representative of 'the voice of a generation' while the only thing that it represents is a privileged and whiny mess.

Mean Girls is a Disneyfied version of the superior Heathers. Perhaps, Heathers may have been ahead of its time, but it still irks me that the inferior film receives more credit for exploring the catty bitchery theme than the latter that had the guts to go where it did.

• Members

IA about Clooney. Can't Stand him since he made those thoughtless comments about Charlton Heston but he's always been overrated particularly on ER.

And Brad Pitt is far better than just a pretty face and has taken on riskier roles.Troy could have killed his career.

• Members

No one will ever convince me that Channing Tatum is attractive.

While I like them as people, neither Blake Lively or Olivia Wilde have the talent to justify being considered for big time movies.

That's how I feel about the Hunger Games. I'm sure the books were a best sellers, but it feels like it turned into a phenomenan because people were told it was.

• Members

Films seem to almost deliberately cast forgettable women now, as they are just seen as vessels. I admire Katherine Heigl for calling out Grey's Anatomy, and Apatow, but she was never suited for leading film roles.

Hunger Games definitely seems like that forced phenom to me. It's all too cynical.

• Members

More UOs:

I had no issue with the 'infamous' Monster's Ball sex scene, as I thought that it made perfect sense within the context of the film and those two characters. What I found terrible was the ending, as I count it as one of the most offensive that I've ever seen.

I don't get the hoopla over Gwyneth Paltrow - and by hoopla, I mean, the love or hate towards her. The woman is as Ann as the nose on plain's face, so it is a mystery to me why or how people find her interesting enough to be polarizing.

After watching all five of the Best Actress Oscar nominees in their respective roles, there is no way that Grace Kelly should've beaten out Judy Garland, Dorothy Dandridge, or Jane Wyman for that award.

• Members

I don't like "The Lion King". I think its one of the worst Disney-films from the 20th century. (I stopped watching Disney movies after "Fantasia 2000")

Neither "Taxi Driver" nor "The Godfather" (parts I, II and/or III) do anything for me.

"Braveheart" getting the best picture Oscar over "Sense and Sensibility" was a disgrace!

Archived