DAYS: SOD reports huge exits to come

• Members

Id love to see what a show could do with a small cast, of say 10 main players, maybe 12-15, and a heavy set of recurring players who are sometimes featured. centered around a law office, police station, and political/corporate office. few sets would be needed, that could help with the budget for sure.

but i cant think of any soap or any soap writer who could even attempt to make it work.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, they've all spent the past few decades writing insularly. They have no time to digest what's going on in primetime, films, theatre or literature. Other writers have had room to breathe, also other writers have constantly learned more by interacting with younger, fresh writers who bring in new ideas. It's been said when you stop learning something, you should hang up your hat because you've reached the pinnacle of your pursuit.

Every soap headwriter as learned all they can. They're not seeking out new ways to tell stories. They're not learning from fresh blood and new techniques. And it shows.

• Members

This whole thing is so sad. For one, I became a Carrie/Austin fan for the first time ever and now they're gone. Personally, I would've sacked Sarah Brown, James Reynolds, Josh Taylor, Arianne Zuker, Shawn Christian and Galen Gering. Overall I don't think people would've been too upset and those characters needed a rest anyway. Carrie and Austin have been driving story and are core characters. Carrie and Sami are so much fun to watch together. There was so much that could be done.

• Members

I completely agree. I can even see letting Muldoon go. But CC is working, and Carrie fits perfectly. Shes the only one im surprised about. Nobody must like to write for her or MA/Jack. They are always let go it seems by new writers.

I also agree with your choices to go, and would add a lot.

Really, Daniel, Jack, Jen, Gabby, Chad, Lucas, Rafe, Nicole, Austin, Abe (Lexie is already gone), Roman, Caroline could all easily vanish tomorrow and the show could carry on pretty easily. And thats just the start. And personally, id kill John off once and for all, freeing Marlena.

• Members

Wow. Stunned you went for Dr. McHairychest because I know you love Shawn.

But ITA with your list. Even Nicole -- and I love Arianne Zucker. Personally, I am kind of bummed that Sarah Brown, Christie and Matt got let go. I loved me some Madison! (And for those who ask why Ian Buchanan wasn't fired, his role is strictly short-term, no doubt ending in murder and a half-assed whodunnit). As you say, CC fitted in so well with the Marlena/Sami dynamic. I'd rather have Carrie around than Chloe, let me put it that way.

If Koslow, Mascolo, Rogers get canned, though, I will stop watching.

• Members

I wonder how much longer Stefano will be on the show. If they think the show is wrapping up, he may stay, but generally his role has become so reduced and he has fewer and fewer ties to the canvas.

The show has no strong leading men, and doesn't seem interested in developing new ones. For that reason, people probably would notice if Rafe left.

• Members

I do, i love me some Shawn. And im friendly with a few others i listed, but that doesnt matter when it comes to the show.

I think matt never should have been brought back. Ive always felt that he brings Jen down much like Hope does Bo and John does Marlena.

As for Sarah, I actually think she will be back, and they are sending her off for a point and she knows it.

I hope they dont bring anyone else back right away.

and as for SR, JM and LK... i think SR is the safest, i think LK is rather safe, and i think JM is up in the air, both on his own accord and the shows.

• Members

It was hardly a year she was with Dan before he came back, and no. When she first returned, solo, she was interesting.

Its when jack came back she became awful. She wasnt her typical stuff the entire time, but she was far from what she became after he returned.

• Members

I have not been watching Days for a good few weeks now, but I still go to dayscafe to catch up on whats going to go happen (I don't read the days head stuff). I'm actually happy about all these people leaving, I just Gabby would leave too! She's one of the main reasons I stopped!

• Members

The "universally hated" characters are liked by others and do have a fanbase. Part of the problem is the sniping that occurs after cast cuts. It's almost like Corday and company get a perverse thrill at watching fans tear each other apart.

Sad to say it, though, I don't think anyone's going to be happy when this round is all over. Hell, I'm even wondering if I want to stick with this show. That's how bad it could get.

• Members

I'm not as upset about the departures, seeing as how I went through this when MarDar first joined with departures such as Vivian's and Chloe's. However I am mad as hell that with yet another regime change paired with a number of departures, we still have Daniel, Melanie, and Rafe all remaining. What the hell?

Archived