DAYS: SOD reports huge exits to come

• Members

I'm beyond relieved that Renee Jones decided to "retire" before they canned her. And no doubt they were going to. Out of all the reported firings I feel horrible for Matt Ashford. No one deserves to be fired four times from the same job.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's sucks losing a job but some of their characters just werent working and plus look at primetime where they don't even get told they're out of a job until a press release alot of times. So many shows have ended in midseason cliffhangers or new shows ended after 4 epis. You're not sounding very professional complaining on twitter(Sarah Brown).

• Members

Acting is sort of a nomadic profession anyway. How many actors get gigs that last for years and years. Many don't even want them.

In terms of Sarah Im not a fan of these actors on twitter but I don't think she was complaining just responding to a tweet someone sent to her

• Members

It isn't the actor's fault that the writing was bad.

Jack, Daniel, Jennifer - love triangle, then no triangle and no storyline

Jack is Maggie's son and Victor was responsible - no mention of Victor's involvement in months

Abby is whacked, then not; now Gabi is whacked

Melanie is an annoying puke; now Melanie is still an annoying puke

Alice had a secret bank account - never revealed where the money was going

Ian - ridiculous charicature

Kate - over the top fool with blue hair

Carrie and Rafe - liked the build, then its dropped.

Get it together writers!!!

• Members

Daytime could benefit from some new blood, but that I don't think that's the problem.

I understand that it saves money, but soaps film too far ahead. In the past a headwriter could watch the show and almost immediately change things that weren't working, focus on the things that were working, and explore the things that just sort of happen between actors such as unexpected chemistry. Some of daytime's most beloved pairings were the result of a spark on screen between actors.

It is ridiculous that we have to wait until August to see the new stories.

I think the Madison character could have worked with tweaking. Poor Matt Ashford can't seem to inspire the writers and I'm not sure why. I do think they should just take him off contract and use him when they need him.

• Members

EJ is one of the biggest problems.He is the only leading man. James is the only lead actor they can use in a lead capcity, since Peter has such a little guraentee. Thus, he is on nearly every day. He drives most stories and is at the center of them. If he isnt involved, it is not a main story. Nobody can carry a show like this and have it work, because some of the audience will hate him and not in the love to hate way, in the not watch anymore because he is the center of the show kind of way. Then there is the fact that as a character, he sucks.

• Members

I don't agree. He's caught up in the same world that the other shows have been - there is no new life in soap land, the same few are being recycled from show to show and no one has the strength to look to a new horizon. Corday's only problem is he's got the weight of family obligation on top of his job so his moves seem more malicious or impotent, depending on ones POV.

To do what? If the story isn't there why even bother? Returns have proven time and again to be pointless and tick off the viewers even faster. I agree the cast needs to be cut, but that is just a bandaid solution. The real problem is no one has a workable vision. Chasing viewers is a useless occupation, but that is what the focus is at the top. If they want to engage today's viewers they have to bring in writers who are willing to match today's values - which often means turning things on its ear to see what happens. No PTB seem to have the guts for that on any of the remaining shows.

And have everyone continuously sleeping with their partner's relatives? No thank you. As it is the Bradys have shagged around the family tree a few too many times already.

• Members

I feel Jennifer doesn't work anymore primarily because Missy just doesn't have that something she had years back. I think she worked perfectly as the heart of the Hortons and the shows main ingenue but she's now a mature character and those stories that work when your in your 20s or 30s just don't fit. But even saying that I do think Missy has lost something. I like Matt Ashford but I honestly don't think the show gets or understands the character so I have no problem seeing him go.

• Members

^^ I tend to agree. She doesn't appear nor act like a mature character, and that's a large part of the problem. Surely an accomplished international reporter can do better than a love triangle where neither options are suitable for long term commitments.

This seems to be the case with all the returnees - not only are the writer doing remakes of the 90's, they are assuming all the character are still at the level of emotional development that they were in the 90's. Jennifer's story is more suited to Abby then Jennifer. And it's long past time Jack grew up.

Archived