Could a 5th hour of Today be the end if DAYS?

Eric83

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is crazy how a 3rd hour of today led to the demise of Another World and Sunset Beach, a 4th hour ended Passions and now a 5th may finish off Days. It shows how pathetic NBC is. Just the thought of Today on from 7 to 12 makes my head hurt. Ugh.

• Members

They haven't even had that much success in the expansion - several of their expansions flopped. We can talk about how this saves money, but they aren't saving money by paying $25 million to someone who has brought their ratings down.

• Members

I am not of fan of Today, but it really can't be blamed for the cancellations of any NBC soap. Rather, the real culprit was the sucky ratings.

NBC was much too generous in giving DOOL a multi-year renewal. (I could have understood a one-year renewal, since its ratings were on the rise for a while. Renewing for two/three years was absolutely absurd.) This soap has had more than enough chances to turn things around. As much as I have been on the case of OLTL fans for crying bloody murder for their show's (justifiable) demise, it nonetheless should have outlasted DOOL.

Anyway, it's way too early to count DOOL out. It has a long history of avoiding the axe just as its fate seemed to be sealed.

If NBC thinks that DOOL will fade away quietly--or even if it thinks that the uproar over its demise won't be any louder than what happened with the dual AMC/OLTL cancellations--it is sadly mistaken.

• Members

5 hours of the Today show?! Really?!

I think the third hour is a dud, and NBC lucked out with the great chemistry between Gifford and Kotb for the fourth hour. However; I noticed so much of the content is just regurgitated hour after hour. Like when they had the Cosby cast on, the anchors for each hour got to interview them in different segments. But the segments were so short, you did not get much out of any of them.

• Members

I don't see how this means a 5th hour of Today. They gave Lauer a development deal. It could be for any sort of show. His show could take over for the 4th hour of Today that features Kathie Lee and Hoda (I don't think that is doing very well at least not so well it can't be replaced). It could be a primetime news show. It could be some sort of special news series that only airs at certain times of year. There is no guarantee any show of his will ever hit the airwaves. Plus, it takes years sometimes to develop a show and perfect it and that is even before it's tested by focus groups and given the green light. Your looking at 2-3 years at least. This doesn't pose any immediate threat, if it even poses a threat IMO.

• Members

It doesn't have to mention Days. If Today expanded to a 5th hour for whatever Matt does or for his syndicated show they would have to give up an hour. The only hour NBC has left is Days. Maybe Phoenix is right and they'll drop an hour off of Today for whatever it is, but Days could be affected by this.

I'm not really one of the doomsday people crying for shows to be canceled but after what happened last year I don't put anything past the networks.

• Members

Who knew that when they named the show "Today" that it would just become "All Day". It shows you just how creatively bankrupt the networks are that for lack of anything else they would run a single show five hours in a row. Why stop at 5? They can run Early Today at 6, Today from 7-noon, local news at noon, talk shows and judge shows from 1-4, local news from 4-6, network news at 6, and then offer their only entertainment shows fro 8-11, and even that would include news magazine shows. These are the glory days of TV indeed. And then they can cry that ratings are falling and how it is unfair.

• Members

I was curious and picked a random year 1975. The NBC schedule then was

Today

something local

Celebrity Sweepstakes

Wheel of Fortune

High Rollers

Hollywood Squares

The Magnificent Marble Machine

3 For The Money

News for 5 minutes

something local

DOOL

Doctors

AW

Somerset

and then at 4:30 local programing, probably news

in 2011

Today

Local programing (something syndicated and news in a combo I imagine)

DOOL

Local Programing (something syndicated and news in a combo again)

If I were the FCC I would pull their license just for not living up to their end of the bargain and serving up nothing at all.

Archived