DAYS: The mess that is MarDar

• Members

DAYS never will live up to its potential, because DAYS, and Ken Corday in particular, refuses to "write up" to its audience or evolve.

Honestly, if AMC's former casting director, Joan D'Incecco, were still working, the first thing I'd suggest is hiring her for the show. Improved casting decisions would go a LONG way with me as far as DAYS is concerned.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You see...MarDar don't know how to write their way out of a paper bag because they don't understand the STRUCTURE of writing a soap opera. Considering they worked under Reilly, the pace that they're working at is hideous because it's wildly inconsistent, some stories are breakneck, some take forever and some just get dropped.

Y&R, for all I bitch about it, has at least held true to its pacing, long term, granted it's long term garbage, but they've stuck with it and it works.

• Members

Social issues are no nos? One-week arcs??? No exposition?? Well Corday, that's probably why no one's watching then, much as you refuse to admit it. Especially the young kids you wanted watching in the first place. The kids want to be challenged. Dolt.

• Members

I think they just don't know how to tell stories. It's kind of awkward to think about some of the stories and how they just seem to be dragged out for the sake of dragging them out, because there's no end goal in mind (Will's story is probably most blatant at this, with Alamainia a close second). Others, like Jack/Jennifer/Daniel, don't even seem to end, they just stop. What was that? Jennifer was demolished as a character, with zero followthrough. Nothing with her finding any common ground with Jack, after she humiliated him. Daniel goes away, supposedly as a noble gesture, and then returns a month later treating Jennifer like a bad smell. Are we just supposed to forget the whole story?

Other stories rush by without any apparent purpose (Carrie/Rafe, Abi/Austin).

Their main goal seems to be "How many times can we redo a previous story?"

Maybe they can do a week-long story where Lexie falls in love with an amnesiac, post-plastic surgery Tony, then she becomes a nun.

• Members

But she'll just decide to become a nun one day, just before Tony tells her so, then walking out through the town square. Because the story you've just described sounds like there's a VAGUE POSSIBILITY OF A PAYOFF, and we can't have that!

• Members

Days has a serious problem and really think they don't know what to do.

The writing is garbage, the sets are cheesy and cheap, the hair/make up is bad...but they still keep hiring people.

They need to cut the cast in half and find people who actually know what they are doing bc 2013 is almost here and Corday is screwed if u ask me.

• Members

Lexie will decide to become a nun, then disappear for two months, then we'll see her again, still with Abe, pretending the whole thing never happened.

Other story possibilities:

Caroline becomes a model at Countess Wilhelmina

To win Rafe from Nicole, Carrie becomes a man.

To win Chad from Melanie, Gabi has him run her over repeatedly with his car.

• Members

Abby hires an ugly Southerner that looks like herself to pretend to be pregnant to hold onto Austin. Eventually (by week's end, since we only have week-long arcs now) we'll be introduced to her nun sister, her brother, and her other twin sister who drowns in the fountain at the town square. The baby will be named MJ, as the girl's an obsessive Michael Jackson fan.

That baby will go away for six months and come back the same age as Melanie...if they ever figure out how old she is.

• Members

prudction aside (it looks cheap, whatever) the main issue is the story.

i am a life long, hardcore fan of the show and have ZERO reason to tune in. Its not about my favorite character, actor or couple either. The show is flat, boring, dull. [!@#$%^&*] happens with no build up, no payoff, no impact. Even when i do tune into it and enjoy it i dont feel a need to check it out again until I have nothing else to watch and need to kill some time.

they need new writers, and a plan.

the baby swap should have shown them what they needed. soapy stories, characters people love, build to a payoff. its really not that hard.

• Members

The problem is each character comes with its own fanbase, and I think we're to the point where if someone left that group would walk with them. A lot of people tune in because they like certain characters these days, not the whole show. Yeah, I know it's not right. I have my favorites, but I still like the show and the cast as a whole.

And I think the bit where Marlene and Darrell talk about week-long plots just shows off their inexperience as headwriters. You can't have that. You need plots that continue with a solid beginning, middle and end and something that spins off into another story. Viewers will have more than a short attention span if the plot captivates them and is well-written.

Archived