February 13-17, 2012

Toups

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My problems with Days has little to do with performances by the actors. I caught the Rafe/Sami reveal on youtube, and thought 'Galen did a great job. IMO the major problem lies solely in the writing. I found myself rolling my eyes every time AS attempted to explain Sami's actions, it was laughable because IMO the premise of that story made no sense from the very beginning for a number of reasons, and the fact that it all came down to a kid hiding under a table for several days made it even more stupid. Until the writing starts to actually make sense Days may have a few good weeks during writer coordinated sweeps stunts, but it will never be stable again.

• Members

Days Of Our Lives is the only show who has gained viewership in the last year. The show's writing has been good, and we are seeing our favorite characters, family structures, and STORY for most. GENERAL HOSPITAL is speeding up like a train. Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati's stamp is clearly on the show, and I think GH is getting better and better every day.

• Members

I think GH will see a pretty good boost next week with President's Day and RC just starting this week on Tuesday and the whole Robin death stunt. Since the show has been good this week they might be able to keep a good percentage of those viewers for the week after.

On DAYS I really love the Austin/Abby stuff right now as Abby is so crazy right now and she's going to be the most interesting character on any of the soaps in the coming months to see how out of control she becomes. The show still lacks some interests in other areas but is much better than it was during the fall.

B&B has been the best soap for months, it was better than OLTL was in my opinon when OLTL was getting all of that buzz deservedly but B&B does a good job of bringing it back to the basics and the show flows really fast which is always a good sign no doubt.

Y&R I just don't pay any attention to b/c it just lacks in so many areas but its good to see that people have stuck with it in terms of the ratings.

We'll be finding out for sure either in March or April so that decision is right around the corner. I don't think it will be in ABC's best interests to get rid of GH right now if they want Katie Couric to succeed. If they get rid of GH their basically throwing in the towel on Katie Couric before that show even starts.

• Members

This is what I said elsewhere. There is a reason ABCD now has a president that specializes in reality and syndication. Even as horrible as The Revolution is doing, it is still vastly cheaper to produce. Ditto Katie Couric's show.

I think - even if it is not being said outright - GH's fate is already well known and the fat lady is getting ready to sing. GH did not participate in that NY Times article about soaps trying to survive. ABC also did not pay for tickets for its daytime drama nominees at the recent WGA awards.

If anything, I see ABC axing both GH and The Revolution and plugging in other cheap shows or giving The Rev's hour back to the affiliates. (GH has already lost its slot to Katie.)

• Members

It's very odd to read Katie Couric hinges on GH as a lead-in when the affiliates' local choice proving a better lead in for The Chew.

IMO, this is a case of Occam's Razor. If ABC cans The Revolting, they'll likely give that slot back to the affiliates. At least then the affiliates will be happy if not the network.

• Members

As Watergate's Deep Throat warned, FOLLOW THE MONEY.

ABC's print and media money is invested in promoting The Chew, The Revolting and Katie!

There is not a dime being spent promoting a SAVE GH campaign. When the new head of ABC skips talking about one of their shows to the NY Times, it does speak volume. ABC considered GH canceled the moment they announced Katie! was taking over that slot, that is obvious to me, too.

• Members

It's nice to see you again TeamEric.

I really wonder how much cheaper Katie is to produce than GH. She's getting millions and millions, plus the money spent on promotion.

Ultimately ABC seems to be moving further and further away from any products at all in daytime. I won't be surprised if within a few years they just have The View, and then they give the afternoon back.

Archived