Joan Rivers vs. Chelsea Handler

Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Chelsea's persona is to sneer at people (aside from Jennifer Aniston) and it's difficult to tell what is or isn't part of the act. Many comedians are always "on," but Chelsea's comedy is mostly about alcohol and awkward commentary, so it's not very easy to tell when the mask slips.

Joan has made quite a few harsh comments over the years so I wonder if something happened between them we don't know about which would cause this reaction from her. Maybe it's just some chemical thing.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She was a regular for 3 years on a sketch comedy show, Girls Behaving Badly. She then went on to have her own sketch comedy series, The Chelsea Handler Show, which ran for 2 seasons before she got her current late night hosting gig

Also Team Chelsea!

• Members

Joan has nothing to be jealous of or to prove anything to anybody. She's been in the business for over 50 years and Daytimefan has listed her many accomplishments.

Chelsea has an overblown ego for someone who hasn't been in the mainstream for that long, and nothing to back it up with. Oh, I guess there's her low-rated and critically panned sitcom on the much maligned NBC. Nothing about Chelsea Lately is exactly a unique concept.

Joan is also very pro-Angelina, who Chelsea hates for the simple fact that she's so far-up that pig/TV Girl's (as Gwyneth Paltrow once described her) ass.

Chelsea started it, and Joan always bites back, and when she bites back, she rips you to pieces.

Chelsea can't string together a decent insult to save her life, Joan will bite her head off.

I hope Joan targets Chelsea on Fashion Police constantly now.

• Members

Not to mention she did bits of acting work in episodes of shows like "Bernie Mac" and "My Wife and Kids". She definitely put in her fair share of work before making it big. And, as far as I know, she was not dating Ted when she landed "The Chelsea Handler Show".

• Members

Some have said she and Ted were having an affair long before it was out that they were "dating."

Let's not act like f.ucking Ted didn't have any mark in making her career or giving her a promotional boost.

At least Joan can claim that her red carpet routine helped build E! as a network, and when she was off the channel, their fashion/award show coverage suffered tremendously.

• Members

Its easy to say Team Joan without knowing the context of things. Chelsea did NOT start this. If you listen to the convo which brought this all back to the forefront, Howard is the one that mentieond Joan and talked about how Joan has been critical of Chelsea. Back in 2009 Joan said Chelsea wasnt funny and in reference to her that there were too many late night show. I dont know why Chelsea should be expected to respect her just bc she "paved the way" when as a pioneer Joan tried to cut her down with her comments

That Oprah analogy that Wendy made would be more accurate if Oprah had said Wendy was untalented and there are already too many daytime talk shows. Oprah has too much class to say something like that even if she did think it. Joan? Not so much

• Members

You got a good point. Joan can be really vicious, and if someone else is getting attention, or laughs, or in competition with her, she's extremely insecure. She seems ok with Kathy Griffin because Kathy worships her, and I think she sees Kathy as her heir apparent. Joan is VERY thin skinned, as i've said:

• Members

That !@#$%^&*] insulted Joan's child, a child who frankly doesn't get the credit she deserves. Melissa Rivers is a legitimate producer and the one who brought Joan to E!...it was not Joan who brought Melissa.

I will scream TEAM JOAN from the depths of my soul. Chelsea Handler should know her place and shown some deference to the woman who, without whom, Chelsea wouldn't have a career.

• Members

I just can't believe anyone could actually think like this...Yes, Joan paved the way for people like Chelsea. So yes, Chelsea should recognize that. But JOAN started this by bashing Chelsea. Chelsea doesn't "owe" Joan anything. She [!@#$%^&*] talked about Chelsea, and Chelsea has absolutely no reason to stay quiet and kiss Joan's ass. Joan was out of line. Joan isn't some holy, sacred elder. She's a bitch, and she got famous by being one. So did Chelsea Handler. But that doesn't mean Chelsea can't fire back when Joan unnecessarily bashed her.

Archived