ABC President on GH: "We’ll make a decision at some point."

• Members

I kind of wonder what the 18-34 appeal of The Chew is. I guess it's noise to leave on in the background, and women aren't being called whores, or raped, or treated as brood mares. I can't see the participants being a draw - they seem like they would appeal to a much older populace - the safe gay, the kooky woman, the soothing bald guy, the crazy fat guy, etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love food and food shows which would be the basic draw of The Chew for someone like me, but I agree with much of the spot on criticism of this show, like Carl's.

Everyone is trying too hard. DO can't try hard enough, bless her heart. I don't see what she has to offer the show and her personality falls flat. I really thought I would like CH more. She's kind of a cheesy dork. I can appreciate everyone making an effort to be "on" and amiable in an age where so many people fall back on cynicism, but don't be corny. They do in fact have a good rapport with one another and while they are all trying to shine, they aren't by any means crabs in a barrel. To my surprise, it's Battali I have appreciated the most when he's actually cooking and demonstrating and breaking down the science of some brilliantly created Italian dish, which is a personal weakness. That said, I enjoy shows like Man vs. Food, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Bizarre Foods, Chopped, all of Ramsey's shows, et cetera that are more consistently exciting... and that don't replace beloved soap operas.

• Members

Carla's great but I don't know why she was suited to a live show, 5 days a week, shouting for airtime with a half-dozen other people.

I have been watching Chopped more often lately and also watched the Next Iron Chef, and they both have a basic layer of professionalism which is missing from The Chew.

Of course it's easy to talk about what is wrong with the show, when it's doing OK. I just think they have the talent to calm the hell down and stop assuming viewers are walking into walls and sucking their thumbs.

• Members

It's amazing that ABC would be the first big 3 network to be soapless. In the 90's and early 2000's, they gave their soaps the most support by introducing a soap cable channel and holding super soap weekends. In addition, they owned their soaps, unlike the other 2 networks.

• Members

The Chew and probably The Revolution will do "well" because there is endless promo for both shows. The soaps don't have ANY promo on a regular basis, so their ratings shouldn't be a surprise. When you add how much money they're spending to promote these shows, they probably aren't doing very well. The Chew is just barely doing what AMC was doing with much more promo.

GH needs a miracle honestly. Not only does Ron Carlivati have to COMPLETELY transform the writing, but Frank needs to get the budget in control and a strong cast moving forward. The production values also need to improve.

Archived