SOAPnet to go off the air on March 23rd

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It may have been wiser to start AW reruns from '94 or so, around the time Iris shot Carl, when the show felt more au courant. Then maybe start a couple years earlier if it was successful enough to run a second time after the '99 finale.

• Members

That would mean inflicting JFP on people...

I think the biggest problem was the place they started in 1987. I will never understand the logic behind starting at a time when the town was almost empty and the main story was weeks of MJ "I WAS A WHORE!" McKinnon.

• Members

I thought AW's 0.0 rating was for 18-49 women. As for DVD sales, I'm sure they'll do well as this is the kind of thing that the older soap fan would enjoy more (as well as the younger generation who care about the genre). So for once, the older demo will equal $$$!

• Members

Yeah to be fair a 24/7 kids channel isn't so bizarre IMHO--I remember when I was little we had family friends who worked nights and (though I'm not sure this was ideal) their preschoolers would sleep through much of the day with them and be up at night... Still I can't see it being a massive audeince.

It's too bad, with more and more diverse cable stations, you would think that there'd be even MORE room for a network like SoapNet on. At least we got one last OLTL marathon out of it I suppose...

• Members

The network will be fine, it certainly won't flop. It's almost an impossibility. The Disney Junior block has done incredibly well since it debuted on the mother-ship and there's no reason to think that it won't do just as well spun-off on it's own. PBS's Sprout and Nick Jr., networks aimed at the same demographics, have done extremely well, and Disney has built in brand recognition.

My sister has a 19 month old and she and her fellow mommy friends are thrilled about it. Their kids like Nick Jr. and Sprout but Disney Jr. shows are some of their kids' favorites so they look forward to having them available throughout the day and night.

The programming during those hours of the night is aired so that parents can DVR episodes they forgot earlier or older shows that aren't aired during the day. Nick Jr. & Sprout frequently re-air their earlier lineups in their entirety in the middle of the night for this purpose and now that DVRs are included in the ratings, their graveyard shift numbers are pretty decent because of it.

Romanovich is already backpedaling and saying that SoapNet is indeed going off the air, but that TVGuide and SOD got the date wrong, which is possible but I doubt it.

• Members

Agreed. It's not going to flop. If it's one thing I've learned from my nieces its that you can never have too many options for entertainment to keep them busy. Nickelodeon, Sprout, Netflix streaming of those Pixar movies over and over and over again like freaking water torture, it doesn't matter. They can consume anything you throw at them. Plus, yeah it's Disney. Are we going to pretend they don't know their way around children's programming?

I always have to ask: who is this guy and what power does he have with the soaps?

• Members

Disney Junior is just that a BLOCK, it's not a 24/7 channel(at least not yet), I don't think it's going to do as well as some think it will. and DVR'ing stuff missed means nada unless they're a Neilsen household LOL.

Nick JR also isn't a 24/7 channel and for a reason wink.png

Archived