SOAPnet to go off the air on March 23rd

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was announced ages ago that SOAPnet would be going off the air sometime in 2012, and a March 23rd start date for ABC's new children's network, Disney Junior, seemed to be the final nail in the sudsy channel's coffin. However, a rep for the network says, "We've always viewed the launch of Disney Junior as a transition, not a flip of a switch, and as such SOAPnet will remain available for an undetermined period of time as additional carriage deals for Disney Junior are finalized with distributors." So while the network's days are numbered, depending on your cable provider, you might just get your daily soap fix for a little while longer

http://abc.soapsindepth.com/2012/02/more-life-for-soapnet.html#more

• Members

I doubt this is going to be a flop kids are Disney's speciality and like someone else said this is for direct competition for Nick Jr.

I know my sister and some friends are quite happy about it claiming it will save them some money on dvd's. By the way my niece stays up well into the early morning hours why because she likes to sleep with daddy and he works nights sleeps in the day.

• Members

Surely there's gotta be a cable station out there that would be perfectly content with running reruns all day long, no original programming, no reformatting down the line. Just classic soaps, daytime and primetime. Here in Chicago, we have local stations that call themselves "MeTV" and "MeToo" that air nothing but reruns of old sitcoms and dramas. And by old I mean some as old as 1950's all the way through til the 90's. And are there tons of commercials for turbo-powered wheelchairs, constipation, and life insurance? You bet!

• Members

I think that Disney is making a big mistake by rebranding SOAPnet "Disney Junior." Instead, the company should have rebranded SOAPnet as an ABC News cable network. (One of the reasons why NBC News is so much more profitable than their counterparts at ABC & CBS is because NBC News can get most of its resources from MSNBC. Given that decent cable channel slots are limited, Disney missed a great opportunity to buttress ABC News.)

• Members

I've been watching MeTV ever since I recently stumbled across it by accident on my Comcast cable lineup here in central CA; it's gone national! I love that they have respect for "memorable entertainment" and those of us who grew up with it! smile.png I suggested soap repeats to them as well, so let's hope we see our favorite stories again one day, on a network where they'll be savored! smile.png I don't have MeToo yet; what shows do they have? MeTV has just about all of my old favorites. It's taken some of the sting out of losing AMC for me! smile.png

• 1 month later...

Archived