• Members

From tvbythenumbers:

ABC is Daytime's No. 1 Network in Women 18-49 and Women 25-54

"

The View," "One Life To Live" and "General Hospital" Place Among

Daytime's Top 4 Programs in Women 18-49 and Women 25-54

ABC Daytime

* ABC stood as Daytime's No. 1 network in Women 18-49 (0.9

rating/574,000 - tie) and Women 25-54 (1.3 rating/796,000 - tie).

* In Women 18-49, "

The View" (No. 2 - 1.1 rating/693,000), "One Life To Live" (No. 4T - 0.9 rating/595,000) and "General Hospital" (No. 4T -- 0.9 rating/571,000) placed among the week's Top 4 Daytime programs.

* In Women 25-54, "

The View" (No. 2 - 1.7 rating/1.005 million), "General Hospital" (No. 4T -- 1.3 rating/769,000) and "One Life To Live" (No. 4T - 1.3 rating/763,000) stood among the week's Top 4 Daytime programs.

Following are the Daytime Lineup averages, plus Top 5 Programs Ranks -

Daytime Rank: Total Viewers Women 18-49 (Rtg/000s)

No. 1 CBS 3.40 million No. 1T CBS 0.9/595,000

No.2 ABC 2.71 million No. 1T ABC 0.9/574,000

No. 3 NBC 2.29 million No. 3 NBC 0.8/543,000

Top 5 Daytime Programs in Women 18-49 (rank based on rating)

Program Net Rtg/000s

The Young & The Restless CBS 1.4/907,000

The View ABC 1.1/693,000

Bold and the Beautiful CBS 1.0/642,000

One Life To Live ABC 0.9/595,000

General Hospital ABC 0.9/571,000

Price is Right 1/2 CBS 0.9/549,000

• Members

ABC's ridiculous comments about GH and OLTL hardly matter anymore. Of note is the fact that DAYS is nowhere on that release. They got a 0.8 in women 18-49 AT BEST. Ouch.

And it's interesting that OLTL has seen a gradual drop since this whole Gigi/Rex/Stacy/Cutter nonesense began. Didn't learn anything the first time, did you?

• Members

I'm pretty sure that they're solid through 2013, although I have nothing concrete to back that up. Just based on articles I read at the time. That said, given the horrific landscape of the rest of NBC's line-up, even if they could cancel Days next year, my guess is that it wouldn't matter. Days might be dipping, but NBC has much bigger problems right now. It might be counter-intuitive, but I'll start worrying more about Days once NBC's Primetime line-up starts to shape up, at which point they can afford to ax a show w/ 2.5M loyal viewers.

• Administrator

Alright, so NBC doesn't have an option in the contract to cancel it in 2012? They must wait until the 2013 to cancel it? If that is true, should we be "worried" about DAYS' ratings right now? Or is this a period where ratings "don't matter" (whether they are high or low), that the window period that NBC will look at is late 2012/early 2013 when they decide to renew DAYS or not, so that's when ratings will "matter"?

• Members

Right, NBC does not have an option to cancel it in 2012. As for worrying, the ratings right now don't matter as much as those a year from now, but I wouldn't hold out much hope that the show will be renewed, even if it rebounds, because all the networks seem to be giving back daytime hours in exchange for more lucrative shows they can syndicate to local stations. ABC has Katie (which is taking GH's slot), CBS has Jeff Probst (who will probably kill LMAD at CBS), and NBC will surely want to get into the game at some point.

• Members

I think the time to worry about Days' ratings will be the 6-month stretch from September 2012 - March 2013, just like when the strong ratings for the show from September 2009 - March 2010 guaranteed its renewal back then. The decision will most likely be made in the spring of 2013, and if the ratings are strong leading up to that decision, if NBC's primetime line-up continues with its anemic ratings, and if the show remains on its budget-friendly production schedule, then we just might get Days to its 50th anniversary.

• Members

That is not necessarily true. A pickup through 2013 does not necessarily imply that NBC doesn't have the right to cancel it. There may be terms and conditions related to ratings, demographics and/or budget that could allow NBC to cancel the show.

We'll never know what's in the DAYS/NBC contract for certain unless one side publishes it, but usually there are confidentiality clauses inherent to the deals. The press releases were when DAYS was riding a wave of positive ratings and Jeff Zuker was on his way out, so the message was going to be positive even if clauses exist in the contract that are negative.

Jeff Zuker being on his way out is something people overlook. He may have renewed it simply because he felt like it or maybe because he wanted to screw over NBC, we'll never know. What we do know is that the man who renewed the show is gone and the new executive team hasn't had to deal with a DAYS renewal yet. I do think NBC's overall terrible ratings actually help DAYS because the show is not the main priority, primetime is.

Frankly, every week counts, NBC looks at this show, looks at the trends across daytime and then determines what their next moves will be. As Carolyn1980 points out the other networks are giving back hours to their affiliates in order to cash in on syndicated programming. It takes time to develop and launch a syndicated property, NBC will be planning those projects now so every rating counts.

• Members

As they are already taping March 2012 and outlining who knows what Corday will have to decide soon if he lets MarDar script the renewall months or if he fires them and brings someone more seasoned for the last year. Once they start to script fall next year there is no way back.

I think he will give them a chance till Feb 2012 to see if this latest round of EJami and other stories connected to it reverses the trend. If not, I think we will see some serious panicking from him come March.

Archived