November 7-11, 2011

Toups

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great to see you on here, Jane!!

You just have to wonder if they have to switch writers again, they call on Sheri Anderson. I like the pace I'm seeing now from Darrell and Marlene, but I also want to see more characters featured. Far too many characters are on a side burner.

• Administrator

That's what I'm afraid of. It just sounds weird that NBC has no option to cancel it in 2012. There's gotta be some outs in that contract (1 year cycles). Let's assume that's true, then now to March 2012 is the window period that NBC is looking at to make their decision and if they decide to cancel the show, September 2012 could be when DAYS goes off the air.

• Members

Based on what I've heard and read, the deal between CBS and Jeff Probst is different than the deal between ABC and Katie Couric. I don't believe that "Katie" is a traditional syndicated series, in the sense that any local affiliate can air it, regardless of network affiliation. I may be mistaken, but I believe only ABC affiliates will be given the option to air "Katie".

Jeff Probst's new show is being produced by CBS, the same company that brought/brings us "Oprah", "Wheel of Fortune", "Jeopardy!", "Dr. Phil", etc. Jeff's show is a more typical syndicated series, meaning that your local NBC affiliate could air it if it wanted to...there is no guarantee that this show will air on a CBS affiliate. In fact, a large group of NBC affiliates has already signed on to air the upcoming Probst talk show next fall. As a result, it does not necessarily impact the future of "Let's Make a Deal" on CBS.

• Members

Ha I admit I've never gotten steady into DAYS but I (and a few others I know), have been casually following the "gay" story (if you can call it that), which already has gotten the show a *bit* of publicity. The fact that right now it's all about some weird Net gambling thing, and is featured about every 1 in 10 episodes, just confounds me. I get going slowly--but it's been going slowly since, what, June?

• Members

From the Hollywood Reporter:

ABC's eight owned and operated stations have already cleared Couric's not-yet-titled show for the 3 p.m. slot and will return the last hour to its affiliates in the hopes that they, too, will use it to pick up Couric's show. But what will be replaced from a daytime schedule that will include soap opera General Hospital, local news and two new lifestyle shows The Chew and The Revolution remains unclear. Also up for debate is how CBS and NBC stations, which will be asked to carry the show in many markets, will feel about Couric's ABC news presence. (CNN newsman Anderson Cooper will be a test of sorts for this when his syndicated talk show launches this year.)

• Members

"Katie" may be available to any local affiliate regardless of network, but the same applies to the upcoming Jeff Probst show, so how exactly will that impact CBS's "Let's Make a Deal"?

According to TV Media Insights, the Jeff Probst talker has been sold to NBC owned & operated (O&O) affiliates in New York City (WNBC), Los Angeles (KNBC), Philadelphia (WCAU), Dallas/Ft. Worth (KXAS), San Francisco (KNTV), Miami (WTVJ), San Diego (KNSD), and Hartford, CT (WVIT). Also station groups owned by CBS Television Stations, Gannett Broadcasting Group, Post-Newsweek Stations, Belo Corp, Cox Television, Scripps Howard Broadcasting and LIN Television has signed on as well.

As, Probst's talker will air on NBC in the top two media markets (NYC and LA), it is unlikely that it is being eyed as a de facto part of CBS Daytime, while "Katie", on the other hand, is being handled as a de facto piece of ABC Daytime programming, as it will air on ABC O&O affiliates in the major media markets and the network is giving back an hour to its local affiliates as an incentive for them to air the show.

Here is the most recent additions of network affiliates that will air "Katie"...(courtesy of TV Media Insights)

KTSP/Minneapolis - ABC

WEWS/Cleveland - ABC

KMOV/St. Louis - CBS

KGW/Portland, Oregon - NBC

KSMV/Nashville - NBC

WCMH/Columbus, Ohio - NBC

KSL/Salt Lake City - NBC

WLOS/Asheville, NC - ABC

KSAT/San Antonio - ABC

WZZM/Grand Rapids, Michigan - ABC

WBMA/Birmingham - ABC

• Members

While this may continue to be off topic, but it has been discussed previously in this thread...

NBC is jumping into the syndicated daytime talk show waters next fall as well. Katie and Jeff Probst will have competition from "Family Feud" host Steve Harvey, who hour long talker is being produced by NBCUniversal for a fall 2012 launch.

• Members

The Chew hit more series highs at 2.242 million viewers thats like 100,000 away from AMC. Guys I bet the Chew goes up for the holidays. They are doing a whole week of Thanskgiving stuff and then will do Christmas cooking/entertaining/decorating. People watch these kind of shows during holidays. Honestly their ratings are pretty much right where GH/DAYS is. GH is probably 60% higher cost then Chew. Its sad guys these soaps are going into coffins and then when you see these kind of numbers its SAD. Sweeney/Frons win here as they CROW THAT THEIR BOTTOM LINE AND CASH INTAKE IS VASTLY IMPROVING. All ABC cares about is dollars/cents and PROFITS and the Chew is delivering on what they want cheap programming which yeilds greater returns.

• Members

ABC gave back an hour to its affiliates to encourage them to air "Katie." A few years before, they canceled "Port Charles" and gave back that half-hour to encourage their affiliates to air "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" It is very likely that CBS, which has more daytime network programming than any other network right now (4 1/2 to ABC's soon-to-be 3, and NBC's 1), will also give back an hour to its affiliates to encourage them to air its more potentially-lucrative syndicated show in an effort to ensure its success. That would still leave CBS with 3 1/2 hours of daytime network programming, still more than any other network.

Archived