GH: Actor out

• Members

I wouldn't say he was ever paired with RH this time around. The story from his arrival was that she was a lying whore. Then he called her a lying whore, and never looked back.

Honestly I've never really enjoyed Luke/Lucky scenes, I thought they were a tic-laden indulgence back in the day. I would have been more interested in his relationship with Laura.

I guess it's tough for me to believe he would have been fired mostly because there are so many others who could go, and haven't (Matt, Olivia, Steve). I know he may make more than they do but I doubt he makes that much.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
To be fair, he came in the middle of the storyline where Liz was cheating on Lucky and they were heading for a breakup. The couple was barely given a fair shot when he returned as the path of that was already predetermined and they couldnt backtrack from there.

• Members

The problem with JJ is he's not romantic, hot, or in any way sexual, Not that this matters on GH, BUt hes not a lead. He may be a good actor, but he has no charm, some charisma, and no warmth. I think someone at GH believed he was Tony Geary and while I don't care for Geary, there is no comparison. The man has screen presence up the wazoo and a lot of charisma and while not sexual, has enough charm to be able to pull off being a romantic lead. I think they could have paired him with the most sexual actress out there and it would not have mattered

• Members

Doesnt matter to me that he came in the middle of the story, there were scenes where Lucky was supposed tio be romantic with Liz, despite what he didnt know, and he didnt pull it off.

I am not saying BF didnt already make up his mind about LL2 when JJ came on, that doesnt chaneg the fact that he has bombed every pairing he was in or attempted to be in since his return.

• Members

I think one of the problems may have been that Lucky was a good guy. Or supposed to be, anyway. Good guy is anathema to the GH of recent years. So they just piled tragedies on Lucky and had no other plans for him, other than a few gimme an Emmy tearfests with Luke. I would also guess that JJ may not have wanted to do some of their ideas. For instance, I can see Guza or JFP coming up with a thrilling "ironic" story where he rapes Liz.

I do agree with you there. To be fair I think that he could have worked with Maxie or Claire, if they'd tried it, but the Siobhan stuff was just awful.

• Members

That's what I was feeling. Why even bother with JJ? He might have been phenomenal as a teen aping TG, but he didn't work as an adult nor as a father (ironic, considering he's both in r/l). And all of the story JJ's Lucky received was pretty much focused on children and addiction - that's what GV's Lucky did, not the others.

Not crying over this one.

Agreed. LuClaire had potential. Even Siobhan was a great character on her own.

Liz left Nicholas with whom she'd been seriously hot and heavy, and went to Lucky only to have a simple cuddle on the sofa under a blanket afterwards. Thus Aiden's WTD story.

Nicholas - another character hurt by this version of Lucky.

• Members

One of the reasons why I stopped watching the stinking turd known as GH was because they were insistent on giving JJ nothing but dark material while never giving him a chance to show the other, more brighter, sides to Lucky Spencer (you know, how he used to be when decent writers were employed with this show).

Not only do I not blame him for leaving, I am actually glad that he is because he deserves far better than the canker sore that has become of what used to be my favorite soap. I wish him the best in the next phase of his career and journey.

• Members

GH just lost it's best actor. What's the point of even watching this show anymore. You can't tune in for good story and you now can't even tune in for amazing acting. This show deserves to get cancelled, this is a blessing for JJ he is too good for it. I know this thread was just created to bash JJ and his ability but I think it's beyond obvious he was probably the strongest male lead GH had the past three years since his return and I have yet to be impressed with any other male since he has come on the show. This is a rather big loss on the acting front. Be upset about his crying all you want and his "asexualness" (he isn't sexual but I find it hard to believe that he isn't a strong sensitive romantic lead but whatever) but he worked every single emmy worthy scene GH gave him to the ground. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets another Emmy for the work he did this year, he would deserve every accolade the soap community could give him because he was that damn good.

Liz deserves a big gaping hole in her head. She has been useless as a character since 2006 and just needs to be put down. If they still want to cannonize her as a saint she can be Jason's equivalent to Lily but she is a useless character.

I disagree I think there actually is a lot of warmth and romanticism in Lucky and I think you get that most of the time when you pair him with Rebecca's Elizabeth. The "problem" if there was one was that the show didn't want LL2. That being said JJ did his damn best and a lot of the time he was phenomenal when given the material. For GH that's as much as anyone can ask for. I don't really understand the complaints here. No one on the show is watchable. No one on the show gives forth any effort to act. No one on the show is rootable or really has tear your clothes off chemistry. There is no warmth to GH. All the criticisms I am hearing about JJ aren't really specific to him. They could be applied to probably each and every actor on the show now. All of GH is as cold as ice, "asexually" passionless and unlikable. At least JJ could act.

I agree. It was great to see some good acting if nothing less while I may hate the show I can't fault JJ for this cesspool of horror that is GH now a days. All I can do is enjoy his work and I enjoyed all of it. He was the best thing about GH a lot of the time.

• Members

That's part of the problem. Even during his golden years, I usually saw an actor, not a character.

Good acting on GH tends to mean showing off. It does nothing to stop just how hollowed out everything is, and how beyond worthless Lucky is as a character.

• Members

I feel like this epitomizes everything about GH now. How many characters on GH are truly worthwhile and are important to GH? How many characters are relevant and are important to the legacy of GH now? The two most important characters to GH's history are Luke and Tracey, one is constantly on sabbatical and the other barely gets screen time enough to matter. How many characters on the show actually have merit and are full of life, heart, bright fuzzy warm feelings? All of the characters are hallow, cold and vicious heartless amoral characters on GH. Each and every last character on this show is a straw dog. All of them have long out lived their usefullness. The show is a catastrophe. Lucky is just one small fragment of that, it's just more of the illness causing multiple symptoms not the symptoms causing the illness. JJ was never the problem.

Archived