New Genie Francis Interview

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never really cared for Genie Francis. Spoiled and entitled for most of her early career....and on top of that, a god-awful actress who never did deserve that Emmy (I'll never forget her comically over-the-top histrionics as Ceara on AMC), though I suppose if Susan Lucci, Vanessa Marcil, and Natalia Livingston have Emmy's, she's in the right company.

• Members

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I've just seen the quotes from a published backstage tell-all penned in the late 80's or 90's, talking about her behaviour behind the scenes and her treatment of TG. They hated each other. TG admitted he didn't handle the stress of that time well, but there was more to it also. Apparently dialogue even had to be changed because they didn't want to be in the same room as the other (back in the day when actors had that kind of drag). GF's husband didn't help things either during the early days of HIV/AIDS where his extremely homophobic attitudes informed GF's behaviour. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>TG is no saint, and I think we all know that, but his biggest fault is being a company man. If TPTB want something sold, TG will do his utmost to sell it. That's not new to Hollywood or entertainment in any of it's forms - it's just part of the deal. But he has always been extremely respectful of his fellow actors and doesn't tell tales out of school. I find it quite interesting that the only bits about his extremely private life we know are his living with one woman (and now lover of a second thanks to Liz Taylor) and he likes his life in Amsterdam. Whether he's gay or not has never been confirmed to the best of my knowledge, nor is it any of our business quite frankly, but I can't begin to imagine the strain on the man who keeps his sexuality private, having his &quot;co-star&quot; refuse to have much physical contact with him because of her fear of a disease and a group of people she regarded as less than acceptable.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh, wasn't that the worst ever? I would be ashamed if anyone suggested I get a statue for less than 15 days of work when my competition had been bringing it home for the better part of 12 months. Disgusting! The Daytime Emmy's don't have a &quot;Guest&quot; category - sucks, but there it is. Nor do they have Lifetime Achievement (which she isn't deserving of either). To bump into that category and now boast - or have her fans boast - that she is an &quot;Emmy Winner&quot; makes me sick. Apparently she had to be talked DOWN from the Lead category. The mind boggles.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have at least one stalker on this board who likes to twist everything I say and quote me around the dial simply because of my dislike of GF. The argument this person holds is that I dislike her because I'm such a Tracy/JE fan and I'm feared GF's return would ruin my favourites. I can assure my stalker (who will probably show up here) and anyone else who cares that I'm a lot more evolved that disliking a person because of the character they play. In this particular case I have read enough to let me know she's not one I would turn my back to, and seen enough to know she is an incredibly overrated actress. If CBS thinks they can use her, power to them. Her range is minimal, and she's too old to play the ingenue any more. If she wants to cash in on her &quot;celebrity&quot; then she's obviously gotten some good advice in the area. But I would hate a return to GH at any point. Not because of LuNacy, but because she would damage the delicate balance GW is trying to weave together after years of too much attention in one area of the canvas.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

• Members

In all fairness to Genie Francis and her husband, Jonathan Frakes (neither of whom I am a fan of) there was a lot of misinformation about HIV/AIDS, extreme ignorance about transmission and its origins and bad science. Just generally, it was an information mess that the US government, under Reagan, had absolutely no problem with not intervening in.

Two Hollywood actors holding what we now see as incorrect views about HIV/AIDS isn't reason to be dismissed. They were not the minority in their views, they were the vast majority, as wrong as it was, most of it drawn from misinformation and fear. Homophobia, on the other hand, has never been misinformed. It's plain stupidity.

Jackie Zeman has long enjoyed a close relationship with Tony Geary. He's clearly someone who values his privacy and values discretion. He clearly found some cast members he could trust. Genie Francis didn't happen to be one of them.

• Members

I am not going to get into commenting about Tony Geary much. He's talented but him being respectful of all the actors he's worked with? Uhm ask Greg Vaughan that question. I don't really care how "lesser" an actor Greg might be. I have never heard Greg utter anythng but the most complementary things about TG I wish TG woud have extended him the same professional courtesy. And I could care less about Luke and Laura, I don't think anyone expected his character stuck in a vacuum but there is moving forward and there is retconning history to suit such "progress".

As for Genie, not a huge fan of hers or Laura but she was very young in her early days with a fairly serious drug addiction. But why on earth is she considered entitled and spoiled simply for wanting equal treatment. In all fairness she did have success on GH long before Tony Geary and Luke entered the picture and she was fired from AMC to return to GH because they needed her to salvage a lot of Gloria Monty's disastrous second run. Its my understand TG actually told the network he needed her. Any resentment she might harbor about having to return to GH when she was happy where she was at might be justified especially considering she wasn't treated as an equal.

All that said, she should have moved on from GH years ago. I know she comments on it because she's asked about it but the continued bitterness just needs to end. She seems happy and content with her career at this point. I hope she lets it rest once and for all.

• Members

That may have been the report, but I'm of the understanding that Jackie Zeman lasted on contract as long as she did because those at ABC felt that Jackie was a calming influence on Tony Geary, not because Tony Geary ever went to bat for her. As well, Jackie's firing came from Brian Frons, not Jill Farren Phelps who was very neutral on Jackie Zeman. Jackie and Tony are apparently still close, that's how she portrays things and I have no reason to doubt Jackie Zeman's stance, she's a straight shooter.

• Members

Stick a fork in L&L. They're done. I appreciate Genie's candor so the fans don't get their hopes up about a Laura return (which is obviously what TIIC are trying to do). As far as TG goes, I could care less about his private life or how he gets along with other actors. However, I have a BIG problem with how he treats the fans. I'm not even that big of an L&L fan, but his interviews back in 2009 turned me off him forever. I don't care how "talented" the man is, when he tells me (and other fans) that we're stuck in the past and can't move forward, I get defensive. Basically, I can no longer stand Luke or Tony.

• Members

There is one and only one reason fans have not moved on and Tony Geary can look to who is to blame for that which is the show he is a part of who continues to use Laura in stories even her memories in stories 10 years after they wrote her off the show. The only reason the fans cling to it is because the show apparently wants them to. If they didn't she would never or barely get a mention like Alan Quartermaine barely does.

• Members

Its interesting that they say Tony Geary is a private person and is only close to a "few" cast members, but the other private soap star that everyone knows of is Susan Flannery. The interview with GF does gives us insight to as how Tony was with certain people, but its funny how Susan has been known for being a very private person too over the years, yet the entire cast seems to really like and get along with her. I have to wonder if Susan, despite not being open to the soap press (which they obviously respect) has shared more of her more personal info with her castmates (Particularly Moss, Lang and McCook) I wonder because like i said everyone gets along with her, so she must talk to them about stuff unless she is good with working herself around that info. I just think its interesting considering her and Geary seem to be in the same questionable sexuality league as well.

If what they say about Susan's sexuality is true, i could see the entire cast respecting it. B&B set, is not Y&R

• Members

I dont know anyone IMO who has an issue with Geary because of his alleged sexual orientation. Its more about his "comments" about certain costars and his chastizing of fans for not allowing his character to move on. What he fails to recognize is its not the fans that are responsible for it unless they write the show he's on. Unless I have missed it, I have never seen Susan Flannery as a demanding diva or push putting her own personal vision on screen and dish fans.

Archived