The Revolution: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The major points were that (1) The Chew and Rachel Ray are not duplicate programs of each other, with the latter adopting more elements of a talk show, and (2) there is room for more than one cooking show on daytime (much like there was room for many soaps for decades).

I know that this is upsetting to some AMC fans, but there is an audience for The Chew, like it or not. The tired old "we have The Food Network" excuse really gets on my nerves, because if we use that logic, then network television should stop airing soaps (because we have SoapNet) and sports (since we have ESPN).

I really don't think it took a genius to figure out that The Chew might not be a complete disaster, or that The Revolution was doomed from the start.

• Members

I am sorry I brought up The Chew, and please forget that I even mentioned it. Given how sore of a subject it is for so many people, I was such a dumbass by bringing it up. Believe me, I don't enjoy arguing about that show any more than you folks do.

Bringing this thread back on topic, I'd like to again say that I was very surprised that ABC didn't have something better than The Revolution prepared to air on January 16. From a business perspective, one would have at least hoped that this "GMA in the Afternoon" program (which already sounds like a better concept) would have been ready.

The Revolution seemed to have a lot of pre-production problems (which is a big reason why I thought it would fail). Maybe one day the nature of these problems will become public. If what we saw on-screen was really bad, I can only imagine how terrible the original concept was.

• Members

From what little I saw of The Revolution, it was trying to be too many things, and trying to be too enthusiastic about those many things, and it was corny and clinical on top of that. Say what you want about The Chew, but you can't go wrong with food. There's definitely some "trying too hard" going over there as well, or at least the last time I watched, but I think fat asses across America would rather salivate than sweat. I don't think people want to spend the afternoon thinking of their life as a project and mulling over all the things that are wrong about themselves and how they need to get up off the couch and change that (soaps weren't linked to escapism for nothing). The Biggest Loser, and segments on all of the network morning shows take care of that kind of stuff. The Revolution reminded me of a few failed Lifetime women, health, and wellness shows they've attempted over the years.

• Members

I guess the personnel may have also been a factor. I know a lot of people probably can't stand her, but I do like Carla Hall, I think Clinton Kelly does an adequate job of corralling the unwieldy amount of panelists The Chew has, and I like Michael Symon (when I watch I try to ignore clogs and Dr. Oz Daughter).

Tim Gunn has never been able to carry a show outside of Project Runway, and Ty Pennington is not worth a lot beyond a cautionary tale.

As soon as Frons said these shows were about helping the stupid and fat viewers, I didn't think they would be up to much. Even The Chew keeps sliding in the ratings.

Archived