AMC: Who Would You Cast As Kendall & Greenlee???

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ewwww. Id rather they just kill Marissa off then bring Grandma Boring back. The only thing remotely interesting about her was how Annie kept clowning her and the show made a big joke out of her in comparison. With no Annie around, whats the point? She's just bland and boring with no one to feed off of.

• Members

I think the problem with gay characters on soaps is that they are so ridiculously limited. They usually only have three options available to them when they come out.

1. They are either shackled solely to one gay character for their entire run on the show (Luke on ATWT, Bianca with Maggie to an extent in the earlier years of her character) this would harm any character because their is only one option for romance on the show which would stagnate any character. They can't really grow or change because they are interacting with the same character over and over again. There is no other love interest usually either because writers don't want to have to create another gay character solely for another character and risk it not working out so that's why they usually import heterosexual characters into being "bi" or finally seeing the light and being "gay" even though they had no problem having several heterosexual relationships before hand. No explanation will be given usually to this either. See Noah and Maggie.

2. They are asexualized so problem one doesn't show up. The show completely subjugates their sexuality and they become asexual characters who have no desire to sleep with anyone or anything and only exist in a supporting capacity in friendships and family scenes. No personal development needed. (Bianca was this for a long time, as was Lucas Jones)

3. The worst case they get written off the show (Lucas Jones on GH, Kish from OLTL). I sadly understand Pratt's arguments that having a gay character on the show kind of limits story possibilities in terms of love interests because you can only have them in a relationship with a gay character and any deviation from that sends out the sharks from the LGBT/GLAAD organizations because after all you can't be bi and like both men and women. It's all or nothing mentality that a character has to be 100% straight or 100% gay. Which is why you get the complete conversion to the house of only penis or vagina. And you must abstain from communion with the opposite genitalia at all times unless you risk your gay card being revoked. We already saw trespassers in Maggie and Reese.

What do you mean by fully realized, actual couples? Because I think soaps for better or worse have done that. Luke/Noah and Bianca/Reese are probably the two most realistic gay relationship in soaps I think. I don't think the problem is lack of realism in gay relationships so much as it's unrealistic that these characters are stuck in the vacuum with the other person because they are both gay. It's like the only reason they are together sometimes is because their gay and from that stand point they are married and lose all momentum in building the relationship up into an actual relationship instead of an arranged marriage given by sexual orientation.

GLAAD and LGBT community would die. Bianca would be "turning her back on the gay community". Fans would riot because Bianca is such a huge character for the gay community and having her orientation changed from gay to bi would piss them off more then the Breese relationship itself did.

Would never happen. Bianca is the flagship lesbian for the soap community and for the gay television community. The fact that this storyline pretty much already existed with both Maggie and Reese kind of shows how unpopular it was with Bianca's own fanbase. Bianca was side step for men both times and the ire was felt threw out the AMC world as well as the LGBT one. Having Bianca not be 100% lesbian would send a huge uproar even if Bianca herself is a character in name only these days.

Say whatever you want but Colin Egglesfeild is pretty. wub.png

• Members

True. Sad, but true.

Frankly, I think the majority of viewers understand this issue better than TPTB give them credit for. Unfortunately, it's folks like GLAAD - who, IMHO, do not represent the views of the entire LGBT community - that get heard more.

On the other hand, a smart writer, such as Agnes Nixon, would know how to "head them off at the pass" and incorporate their viewpoints into the touchy subject of Bianca, a "confirmed lesbian," suddenly developing romantic feelings for another man. Hell, even Megan McTavish was able to get pretty much everyone's viewpoints incorporated into Julia's abortion story, and abortion, IMO, is a way touchier subject than bisexuality. But, either way, it's a [!@#$%^&*] shame that writers have to live in fear of people like the GLAAD Gestapo.

He is pretty. And I wouldn't have minded him being on AMC if they had cast him in another role. Seriously.

Archived