AMC: Who Would You Cast As Kendall & Greenlee???

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Terri Conn becomes nuGreens, then we'll know for certain that a dead animal will be part of her first story on the show.

With all due respect, Skin, you're talking about "after the fact," after the parts have been cast, stories written and aired. I'm talking about before. Before Kendall and Josh hit town for the first time, before the writers have begun writing even one word of dialogue for these two, why didn't it occur to TPTB to cast actors who should have been more age-appropriate, given when they were supposed to have been conceived?

Would their stories have been different with older actors? Of course! I'm not arguing that. But maybe -- just maybe -- the stories might have been just as good, if not more so, had the ages been right from the beginning.

• Members

That's not my point though, I get what your saying. They should be older. It's written in the shows history that they be this age. I just don't think that means anything next to creative expression. The writers obviously felt that the youth of the characters in question was important in the character dynamics. For instance would Kendell telling Erica that Dimitri raped her have as much effect on Erica if the same scene was told to her by a woman who was in her late 20's? The whole point of that scene between SMG who was 16 at the time and Susan Lucci was the fact that Erica remembered she herself was raped when she was a young girl the same age as Kendell. The scene would lose all of it's meaning if Kendell was aged appropriately. Not to mention that Kendell herself was supposed to be seen as the second coming of Erica. So starting her at the same age Erica debuted was an important parallel as well. There is a similar situation with Josh too although not as important. The thing about Erica and Josh that bonded them was that they both wanted to be famous and both had a desire to rule the world in their 20's. That was a strong parallel of Erica in her early twenties just as it was with Josh. That same need to succeed that see their names in headlines, have their own empire, the world at their feet, etc. Was used as a time portal to transport Erica to a time when she felt that same need in her early 20's. Would that same effect happen with a character who was 35 or older? Not believably to me. That ego-maniac characterization would just not make any sense in a way that it would and does with a young 20's character.

These characters represented aspects of Erica's personality during the same time period Erica went threw them. That is why their ages were important. At least in my opinion. Them being older would have completely changed and arguably could have ruined the characters relationships with Erica by pushing them in separate age ranges. Plus there is just so much more story that could be told with younger characters that can't be told with older ones. We would have missed out so much life of Erica's children had they aged them realistically.

• Members

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

But those stories probably would not have happened at all had they cast Kendall and Josh more age-appropriately. They would have written stories that were appropriate for them, given their ages. Which is what I was trying to say before. Now, am I making myself clear?

• Members

I guess I just don't think your alternative is that much better. You are asking me to throw out Kendell and Josh's entire back history to justify an older age that I don't think was all that important to begin with. I think there is more merit to the characters being introduced younger then the characters being introduced older. We would have missed out on pretty much all of the characters life until their late 20's and late 30's instead of watching them grow, change and evolve. Which is pretty much what soaps are all about. Growing with your characters every day. For the record I wouldn't change Josh or Kendell's back story just to have their ages justified for show continuity.

Archived