GH: Classic Thread

• Members

They were the closest a viewer got to knowing about stars' personal lives in those pre-Internet days. I sometimes forget how much things have changed since the days of Hedda Hopper, Louella Parsons and Sheila Graham.

The soap rags now are unreadable. I doubt they ever publish anything the networks don't want them to say because they're dependent on the networks for their livelihood. It's a shame when they could be a real source of information for readers.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Some of those old magazines have such a mix of beautiful, personal photos and stories, and thinly veiled hostility/lecturing (from Louella and Hedda and others). I guess the last of that era was Rona Barrett - she was younger, obviously, but had the same tone.

All the magazines seem to start out with some quality and independence and then become trash. The soap magazines of today are so garishly styled, they're not too far off from the dying days of these magazines, as they went on and on with the same tacky covers of Elvis or Jackie and the same headlines about so and so's "love tricks" or their violent arrest.

I guess at least now we have message boards and memories, to help balance out how tabloidy and shilish magazines are now.

I'll never stop believing that an honest and critical soap press could have helped soaps stave off at least some of their decline.

• Members

Louella and Hedda got too big for their britches when they realized they could break careers with their insider knowledge about sexual conduct. At least they were a thorn in the side of the movie studios, which is more than I can say for their successors today.

I agree with you. With a stronger soap press, networks, EPs and HWs would have been called out for bad behavior years ago. Instead, they were allowed to get by with it and now we're watching the death of a favorite genre.