B&B: Former actor returns

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marcy Rylan wouldnt be a good fit for Bridget. She's a bit too exciting and flashy for the role which is alot more lowkey

B&B isnt a soap known for its great acting. Ron as horrible as he is, fits. Im not so sure I could see a great actor in the role...lol

• Members

JY/JY fans has never had a problem with Jr being an addict. Like you point out, that's part of who JR was even before JY stepped into the role. What some of us has an issue with is how JR was made to look stupid or overly evil so that other characters could be portrayed as saints and heroes. Babe/Marissa/Caleb etc.

I get that you just found the episode count archive thread but it's means crap if all the character has to do is suck up to basic bitches and make them look good.

A couple of weeks ago you wrote that JY had been middling since 07 when AH left so which is it?

She really is.

Jennifer Finnigan was fantastic! She was such a non typical B&B actress but she just brought it every single time and deserves all the emmys she got. I don't expect her to return but they need to recast her with an actress of JF's caliber!

• Members

And yet JR is still a cornerstone character that the show values and who is used predominantly by the show. This belief that JR was the only character who has been written poorly is a slim excuse if there ever was one. Dixie was written poorly as well during her 06 return are we going to argue that was propping to make Tad and JR look better by comparison? How about how the show blatantly made Wes/Ritchie as the bad guy to make JR look better by comparison, was that propping? Or when David tried to take custody of Little Adam and he was made out to be a drug dealer and generally said to be satan personified by the Martins and JR, is that propping too to make JR look like the poor victim? How about when Krystal was made out to be a druggie and sided with David was that propping as well to bring sympathy in JR's favor? Are we going to argue propping for those occasions as well then?

Of course not because that weakens your 'poor JR' argument. It's a soap everyone looks bad or good at certain points during the show. JR (just like ever other character) has been written to be sympathetic numerous times through out AMC. He was written sympathetically during the entire Ritchie arc 07-08', when Dixie came back from the dead in 06', when Di came back as Dixie in 05', when Babe died and the resulting aftermath in 08-09', and when he had cancer 09'. JR was given a cancer storyline that says everything. It's arguably a soap writers stand by trick for easy sympathy for a character next to rape. If you are trying to get an audience to hate a character you don't give them cancer because everyone knows you can't hate cancer patients on soaps.

My main point here is that JR was not treated as badly as you claim he was. He drove story for years. He was front and center for years. He got packaged as both a sympathetic leading man during several years and he was also the leading villain for years as well. That's pretty much an all encompassing dynamic soap package/deal. Which typical happens for a soap character that a writer likes. If a character lasts as long as he did and gets grade a material to play that's an actors dream. He got to sink his teeth into story a lot of other actors would have killed for and he was given preferential treatment (i.e. airtime, material, storylines, show importance, longevity, etc.) over the likes of Justin Bruening, Colin Egglesfield, Jeff Branson, Billy Miller and Adam Mayfield all of whom were Jacob's contemporaries at some point during his eight year run. If he was at all 'sidelined' for other actors/characters it would have been these guys and yet none of them are on the soap today and he is. Like I said before Jacob/JR were both treated very well by AMC it could have gone A LOT worse.

Yes cause that was all JR was doing. Propping up Marissa for the past two years. Never mind his storylines with Annie, Chandler Enterprises, rivalry with Scott, his cancer storyline and everything else. All JR has been doing is propping Marissa. rolleyes.gif

Wrong. I stated that I haven't been impressed with his work since Babe/Dixie's dual death back in 07'. He did okay with Baker Babe's death but since then his portrayal has stalled and he seems to just be recycling his past techniques instead of growing. Either way Young hasn't revisited his highest highs in years. I would like to see him do something different to see if he can get better or if this is it for him.

• Members

Wes/Ritchie was always the bad guy. He certainly wasn't made worse to make JR look good! In fact his crime against JR (TORTURE) has been completely ignored and forgotten.

Justin can't act, Colin played an aborted fetus, Jeff was Ryan's evil/mentally brother who no one cares about, Billy was Annie psycho brother who was never meant to stick, Adam Mayfield couldn't act and was completely miscast. Of course JR/JY was more important than all of the above!

Marissa was alwas portrayed as the victim who was hurt by bad big JR which I do see made sense but when she tried to take his son and it was swept under the rug or when she cheated on him and it's not allowed to be mentioned...yes Marissa was propped and it picked up a notch when she was recast and JR was made to look stupid to prop the out of nowhere love between Marissa or Bianca or when JR and Annie were completely demolished to make us all believe JR actually wanted Marissa.

How about Marissa being portrayed as the only person capable of taking care of AJ and JR incapable of even talking to his son....Yes JR propped Marissa to no end.

That's just ridiculous. I'm the biggest JY fangirl there is and I can admit some of his earlier work makes me cringe. JY has never been better than he is now. He's kicking it out of the park with the storyline he has right now.

• Members

Your making my point for me. Ritchie was blatantly made the bad guy for JR's favor and Ritchie did bad things to him so JR could be put in a sympathetic light. Hardly a case where JR was made to look evil for 'basic characters' like you said above. JR got preferential treatment at some point as well and was 'propped' as you like to say in this storyline. Yet of course this goes over looked because you need JR/JY to look like this poor individual who was victimized and abused by the show runners. I'm sorry it's just not believable and thus your attempt falls flat on his face because JR was made to be sympathetic at MANY points of his story.

Point missed yet again. The point was that Jacob was treated like a star by the show compared to what the show has given other actors who are in his similar age range and who came on either around the same time or were prominent during his run on the show. He was treated better then every other actor in his age range and got better storylines, more airtime, more opportunities to shine and general better treatment from the show then any other young male lead under or around 30. Hardly bad treatment for JY at all. You could add James Scott to this list as well.

Everyone is propped at some point. JR was propped several times during his time as well, even if you don't see it.

• Members

Jacob was treated as a star? really did I f*cking just read that? JR was never really treated as frontburner, why is it you think nobody f*cking recognizes the Chandlers anymore? Eversince that barbie b!tch character wasteland experiment and mama came to AMC it was all about Carey love, and finding out how to keep the Carey love going and redeeming them. And still continues to this day!

JY took crap and made it emmy material, in 2009 when VI and him were up for the same award alot of ppl believe JY should have won, but VI is the older actor and that was his first win in 20 yrs. His cancer s/l again on point. Right now his bout w/ alcohol..you know what's funny, I see one idiot in this thread babbling how JY has lost it, yet every other medium is giving him kudos and recognizing how great of an actor he is at the ripe age of 31. A guy that literally turned down primetime b/c he loves the medium. McTavish for a bit wrote for JY, then it was figure out how to keep BE/AH/MEK happy. Cameron Mathison has been frontburner since 199 freaking 8, Jacob Young in 2009 was given a co-star that could actually act! and they led one of the most loved/missed disaster pairing in AMC. Jacob is shining right now b/c this is the first time he doesn't prop that useless Carey unit and is getting an individual multi-layered story arc. Bily Miller has been overrated, Justin Breuning is just a body, Colin E. and I love him too, is just a body. He was so bad CW fired him. Justin I can't even remember him, and he actually had a show. James E. Scott was so young when he started, and they paired him w/ AM when she was in her prime, yet Thorsten Kaye walked in and knocked him off.

I love how this turned into a JR thread, when you speak about the character and talk about how his s/ls have gone, and how everywhere I read, except for Babe's cup holder fan in this thread, has recognized losing Jacob Young, hurts. It hurts so much PP made a announcement afterwards to keep the rest of thier actors.

Archived