OLTL: Baker's Boss

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm really trying to work on my cynicism, but I mean... WHY? WHY? WHY? would Irene do this?? How did she become some weirdo syfy mastermind? Did Victor have THAT much of an affect on her? So bizarre.

I don't know the name of the actress in these clips but it seems like yet another OLTL role Christine Jones could have added to her resume. During the DID s/l, Viki would have her weird incest dreams and Krista Tesreau Tina in mod clothes would appear as Irene in them.

• Members

and what makes you think Todd is automatically immune from that now? Just bc they are bringing Irene back and creating some convoluted clusterf--k to explain all of this away? Ron is creating a bigger mess with all of this than had he just gone the straight and simple recast route (or is that oldcast?)

• Members

Yeah this may be as messed up as anything they ever did but the comic book continuity geek in me kind of enjoys this. BTW The Spider-Man clone saga that The "Two Todds" reminds me of also ended with bringing someone back who was dead for about 25-30 years.

• Members

Todd will always have bad writing - I can live with that. It's one of the reasons I've never been interested in the character. I just couldn't live with Todd as the "hero" in a redeemed-by-rape story, Todd the stud with various women falling at his feet, and the bizarre need to turn the emotional and physical abuse of Todd/Tea into some love story. Irene returning bothers me less than air quotes or the disastrous decision to bring back Powell/Zach/crazy Rebecca because RC needed to remind us Todd wasn't the "only rapist."

• Members

Didn't David know Irene briefly before she "died", or did he get his hands on the diary through other means? I don't recall. The only thing I'm looking forward to here is if they cast a powerhouse actress who gets some good scenes opposite Erika.

• Members

Eh, I ain't bothered. From the start this was going to be a batshit story. It needed a big, shocking villain with roots in history - why not Irene, who was not exactly some saintly character with years of history? We accepted the DID retcon with Victor Lord because it made perfect sense, even though Victor had years on the show as a loving patriarch (with an imperious and quasi-incestuous side, which is what made the 1995 story palatable IMO). We know far less about Irene. It could be fun.

• Members

I forgot to say that I don't mean to downplay how stupid this story is, or probably will be. I don't think it will be as bad as Heart of a Lord, because what could be, but this seems like a bad idea, especially with TSJ on a limited timeframe. The main thing I want to see is a lot of material for Viki and Tina. If they are in this heavily and if they do cast someone like Liz Hubbard (although I don't know if she can pass as Viki's college roommate - Erika and Liz are about 20 years apart, I believe...), then I will enjoy more.

13 years apart, apparently. That's not as bad.

• Members

It's also very believable to me that Victor could've become involved with Irene as part of his own roots in military intelligence. Remember Tomas saying the CIA recruited him out of Julliard? The OSS and CIA used to do that with students all the time. Irene was Viki's college roommate.

It's an apeshit story but it's already far better to me than, say, Heart of a Lord. Apeshit works if you tell it well.

Archived