Soap mentions on other shows

• Members

In one of GL's last weeks there was a bizarre sequence where Buzz went to New York and said he wanted to see ATWT. I kept wishing and wishing they would have him "meet" real ATWT characters, and do a double take at Tom.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On The Golden Girls, Blanche is telling a sordid story about getting pregnant by a brother-in-law and the other girls think she's talking about herself. She explains that she saw it, "Last night on Dallas... or Dynasty... or Falcon's Landing, they're all the same."

• Members

PASSIONS Mentions:

The West Wing-

When the president (Martin Sheen) was sick and in bed he was watching an episode of Passions and commented to his aid that Ivy had on a new outfit after every commercial break.

On Bold and the Beautiful-

On the Bold and the Beautiful, when two characters were discussing where the character played by the actress who now plays Rebecca had dissapeared to, one replied that she had gone to someplace called Harmony.

Charmed-

While pregnant and in bed, Piper watches 'Passions' . On the screen, Tabitha is casting her Halloween Spell from the first season of the show. Piper exclaims "Oh, please. Like that spell would actually work."

• Members

ER would have patients watching DAYS. I remember a John/Marlena scene being shown in the mid-90's, as well as an episode where a young pre-teen kid was discussing DAYS with a nurse and talking about Mike making Chief of Staff, and Carrie was mentioned too.

Seinfeld watched The Bold & the Beautiful.

In addition to all the examples people gave from The Nanny, I liked one where C.C. complained that Fran used their emergency phone line to tell them to tape The Bold & the Beautiful. And Fran's response was, "Well, Storm was about to marry Stephanie." And Mr. Sheffield (referring to something else) says, "What's the problem?" and Fran replies, "She's his mother!"

On Family Ties, Alex's girlfriend (played by Courtney Cox) watched a soap called "Days of Our Children", obviously a mix of DAYS/AMC's name. Another fake soap based out of 2 other soap names was when The Nanny's Niles and Fran produced a play, and their starring actress played on the soap "Edge of Life" 30 years prior.

I think The Nanny probably wins with the most soap references. When Fran accidently "steals" a foreign woman's baby, Fran almost gets sent to jail until she makes a mention that "this is just like what happened to Nikki Newman on The Young & the Restless" and the foreign woman lights up at the mention of Nikki Newman's name and the two bond over the Y&R storyline before a policeman interrupts them and says it was actually Snapper or Sally or something to that effect.

In another episode when Fran and Mr. Sheffield are deserted on an island during their honeymoon, Fran sucks the poision out of Mr. Sheffield's leg because she saw Sally do it to Snapper on Y&R, a point that Mr. Sheffield later mocks when Fran is telling the children how she knew how to safe their father's life.

• Members

On All My Children, when Mona explained that Lars Bogard was a Nazi who held Daisy captive and attempted to kill her, Erica exclaimed, "Mother, that sounds like The Edge of Night." Susan Lucci was an admitted fan of Edge, where her onscreen husband Richard Shoberg (Tom Cudahy) had played Kevin Jamison.

• Members

On House, several times in the first season we actually saw House watching General Hospital. I remember them showing a few Sonny/Jason scenes and a Monica one, I think. Also, in season 3, I believe, House checked out prescription pills. Her wrote the initials "L&L" as the doctors initial, a reference to Luke and Laura.

• Members

I don't know if it was in that episode or another one but Erica told Mona, "You really have to stop watching those soap opera's. they are scrambling your brain!" and Mona said, "Honey, i don't have to watch Soap Opera's. I Live in one!"

and remember when OLTL went back to 1968, at the begining of one of the episode, a maid at Asa's ranch turned on OLTL and it showed the original opening theme. Nobody said anything but it was a wink i guess.

when Jessica got her hair styled for her prom back in the 1990's, she hated what the hairstylist did and told Viki, "it looks like something out of "The Young and the Restless."

on 90210 on one camping episode, Dylan said something like "We don't have to watch TV, we have Days of Our Lives right here." and i think either Brenda or Kelly said, "More like the Young and the Restless."

if we are talking nighttime, The Shelley Long movie "hello again" was about a woman who died and then her sister brought her back to life a year later. Well when she saw her son and his girlfriend, she said, "Does anyone know what's happening on Knots Landing?"

Archived