Sign in to follow this  
DRW50

Golden Windows

DRW50   

I have a few interviews from this somewhere, so I'm posting this now before I find them.

Paraphrasing Chris Schemering and Soap Opera Encyclopedia:

A Young and Rubicam show, this NBC show was based on Juliet Goodwin, a 22 year old singer who moved to New York from Maine to find fame and fortune. Her parents and her fiance, John Brandon, objected. She soon found herself torn between John and Tom Anderson, a man with a troubled past. Eventually she met an old foreign man backstage who introduced himself as Fritz Lang. Was he her biological father?

July 5, 1954 - April 8, 1955

Juliet Goodwin - Lelia Martin

Charles Goodwin - Eric Dressler

Tom Anderson - Herbert Patterson

John Brandon - Grant Sullivan

Hazel - Barbara Cook

Edited by CarlD2

Other cast members included

Mrs Ruth Brandon - Harriet McGibbon

Joseph Kindler - Frank Hammerton

Miss Bigelow - Ethel Remey

Lt Thomas - Ralph Camargo

Larry - Dean Harens

Ellen - Monica Lovett

Margo - Naomi Ryerton

Anne Summers - Sonny Adams

Carl Brown - Walter Kinsella

Ed Clifton - John Dutra

Paul Anderson- Philip Pine

Ellen Stockwell - Millicent Brewer

Fred Stanton - Jamie Smith

Anne d'Autremont - Jane Talbert

Tilman - Mike Tolan

Jane - Vicki Cummings

Carl Grant - Joe DeSantis

Otto - Martin Kosleck

It was a P&G show and Thomas Riley was producer.

Juliet was a native of Capstan Island,Maine ,who left for NYC to become a singer. Foster father Charles and boyfriend John wanted her to return home but she found love with Tom in NY. Tom was charged for a crime and Juliet and her father faced charges as accomplices. John romanced and married Anne and his mother Ruth threw them a wedding bash at her house Grey Gables.

In 55,Tom had been sentenced and Juliet vowed to clear his name with the help of Carl. They found the real criminal,Fred. Tom when released behaved badly towards poor Juliet,accepting a job that took him away, Charles became ill and Juliet had to care for him in NY. Then Carl and Otto kidnapped Juliet. Her new beau Paul saved her in the nick of time.

Golden Windows was one of 3 NBC soaps to debut on the same day in the hopes of establishing an afternoon soap block.,the others being First Love and Concerning Miss Marlowe.

From Wikipedia

The program told the story of Juliet Goodwin (played by Leila Martin), a 22-year-old girl who spent an isolated childhood in an island retreat off the coast of Maine with her foster father, Charles Goodwin (played by Eric Dressler), and her attempt to find happiness with Tom Anderson (played by Herb Patterson), the bitter young cynic with whom she was in love, although she is was engaged to another. Julie, a girl endowed with a lovely body and a glorious voice, found that her curiosity about life and people had made her vaguely discontented with life on the idyllic island Capstan.

As the story opened, Julie discussed plans for her forthcoming marriage to her fiancé, John Brandon (played by Grant Sullivan), when a bad storm blew up and he returned to the hotel he and his mother ran on the mainland.

The following sequence of events took place in the program’s opening week:

Tuesday, July 6: Tom Anderson, battered by the New England storm and fleeing the police on what may be a murder charge, found his way to the Goodwin house.

Wednesday, July 7: Julie convinced her father that Tom was ill and needed their help so they put him up in the guest room for the night after he had collapsed from fatigue.

Thursday, July 8: On the mainland, John told his mother (played by Harriet MacGibbon) that he promised to get Julie an audition with a famous musician who was staying at their resort hotel. Meanwhile, Tom regained consciousness.

Friday, July 9: There was an awareness about Tom and Julie of the growing bond between them and she promised to hide him from the police until he was stronger and could go to them with the story of his how partner was shot, and convince them he was not guilty.

The program was produced by Mary Harris, and directed by Dan Levin. The story was by John M. Young and Corlis Wilber.

Edited by Paul Raven

DRW50   
give me a chance to think about it. I could give you an answer before the party's over."

"That I'll buy," he said, "as long as the answer is yes."

She didn't get a chance to speak to him alone before she left with her original date, quite late - which was just as well, because she hadn't made up her mind. But the next morning, when she woke, Lennie Green was the first person she thought of. On an impulse, she reached for the phone.

"Lennie? Leila Martin. If you still mean it, the answer's yes. After the show."

"Hallejulah!" he said - and Lady Destiny relaxed. The deed was done.

Leila and Lenny found out a few basic things about each other that evening, in between supper and dancing. She learned that he was a theatrical agent, head of Mercury Artists Corporation, and he discovered that she was a Brooklyn girl whose parents - who loved the theater - had let her start singing in public when she was five.

That was enough for him...

When Lennie suggested - just two weeks after that first meeting, and after exactly fourteen consecutive dates - that they invite her mother and father to come along with them on a dinner-date in Manhattan, Leila thought it was one of the sweetest things he'd done so far. Why, he'd barely met her parents. She'd introduced him to them briefly, one Thursday, when Lennie had picked her up at home.

The Martins went along with the idea without too much enthusiasm, although they were anxious to please Leila, and obviously this was what Leila wanted. They had both thought Mr. Green an attractive young man, with good manners. But, given a choice, they would rather have wined and dined him at home first, before accepting his invitation to dinner.

Still - no sense in being stuffy. So they all gathered in Manhattan at a neighborhood restaurant, and had dinner.

Then, over coffee, Lenny did the unpredictable thing that left her with her teeth rattling from shock. "It's high time we all met," he said to Mom and Pop, "because I'm going to marry Leila."

It was a memorable moment. Mr. Martin regained his composure first, and gave a hollow laugh. "Some other people have thought that, too," he said, and Mom came in with a weak smile and a muttered pleasantry. The evening went on with a distinct chill in the air, and ended early.

The Martins' front door had no sooner closed behind them than, in effect, the roof almost blew off the house.

"If I were a ham," said her mother, starkly, "I'd burst into tears and cry, 'My baby, my baby!' In fact, I'm not sure I won't burst into tears." And she did.

"Now then," said Leila's father - automatically passing his breast-pocket handkerchief to his wife as he turned a stormy countenance to Leila - "Let's have it. You see this man two or three times and then tonight he calmly announces he's going to marry you. And you didn't even squeak. Don't you think your parents are entitled to a little warning about such a step? After all, you're still only twenty."

Leila looked down at her feet, in mortification. "I was as petrified as you were," she said. "Believe me, it was the first I'd heard of it. Oh, he said something last week, just for laughs - something like 'Let's elope,' but of course that didn't mean anything..."

"Of course not," said Mrs. Martin, beginning to smile. "Just talk, that's all. He was just trying to be amusing tonight."

The room was suddenly full of relieved laughter. "How about a sandwich and a glass of milk before we go to bed?" Mrs. Martin suggested, and her husband agreed.

As they headed for the kitchen, Leila said: "Hey, folks."

They turned, still smiling, to face her.

"You'd better know," she said, quietly, "if he does ask me, I'll probably say yes."

And then the top really blew off of the little Martin house in Brooklyn.

Lennie officially asked Leila to marry him, in front of the Stage Delicatessen on Seventh Avenue, one midnight, when he'd picked her up at the stage entrance and they were just walking along. And, after that, a number of things - including One Big Thing - had happened.

By now, of course, they had both realized that they were hopelessly in love. Leila didn't know much about the past of Lennie, who is a trifle older than she is...but, for her, this was first love.

Leila was floating. There was just one basic problem. She didn't even know it existed, until she'd already told Lennie she'd be delighted to marry him.

It was a Friday. She'd come to his apartment to practice cooking, and had turned out some scrambled eggs that she was pretty proud of. She'd tossed a salad with a wine vinegar dressing, and there was a melon in the refrigerator.

And then as they were eating, he sprang it. "Terrific eggs," he said. "Wonderful. When are you going to quit your job? We're getting married in two weeks and you don't want anything hanging over."

"What was that about quitting my job?"

"Of course you're not going on working."

"I'm not?"

"That was understood. You don't have to work after we're married - and I wouldn't want you to."

"Let's get this straight," said Leila, slowly. "I've got a career that I'm proud of, and I'm going to work."

"Not and be married to me."

They stared at each other stonily across the table for a long moment, and then she stood up and pushed back her chair.

"I'll see you some time," she said, "if we happen to meet." And she marched out of the apartment, took a cab home - and, still seething, packed her suitcase, and went to visit friends in Connecticut.

By Sunday night, she was desolate. Until now, she had cried only at night, in her lonely bed. But on Sunday morning she'd run into a girl friend, and told her all, and had had a really good cry.

"I'm a fool!" wailed Leila. "I'll never amount to anything anyway, and I love I - boo-hoo..."

"So you're a fool," said her personal friend. "Call him up and tell him so."

"B-but I couldn't do that-"

"There's a phone over there."

When his apartment answered, a secretary said, "He's not here, Miss Martin." Leila was about to hang up in despair when the secretary suddenly came to life. "Miss Martin! I'm sorry, he's been trying to call you all weekend. If you'll just hold on, I'll get him on the other wire."

And a minute later she heard his voice.

"Hello?" she said softly.

"Where've you been?" he said.

By the time they met in a small cafe just off Fifth Avenue on Fifty-second Street, she had almost recovered. She was, at least, looking her best. He'd preceded her. As she sat down she started to speak, but he held up his hand. "I've got something to say to you," he announced.

"Politeness demands that you let me speak first," she said firmly. "I've decided that, if career or future or anything else in this world should interfere with my marrying you, they can all go out the window. So. Now, if you want to speak-"

"I was only going to tell you that you could have any career you want, if you'd marry me."

They sat for quite a long time, then Lennie said, "Want to take it back?"

"Never."

"Me, too. Then what's next?"

"We've both given in," she said happily. "Maybe we could go along on that basis. I could give in to you, and you might sometimes give in to me. Frankly, you can be the boss, when it comes to a dead-end. I love you enough to think you'd be a good boss. How about that?"

"How about that?" Lennie said, and kissed her soundly.

A week later they were married, with the Martins - now persuaded - in attendance. And they rounded it all off with two wonderful weeks in Havana.

For the first four months after they returned to New York, they lived in Lennie's bachelor apartment and rented a house in Connecticut for weekends; and Leila had a chance to look around and decide on how she would operate in her new part-time job of housewife. She would have a twice-a-week maid to come in and clean, but the rest of the work she would do herself. Lennie had explained that he liked to eat at home, and she wasn't about to tell him that her experience as a cook was the sketchiest.

She'd often watched her mother at work in the kitchen, and in Leila's opinion there was nothing to it.

For their first dinner at home she broiled a steak, tossed a salad, baked two potatoes, and poured some cherries and brandy over some French ice cream. She had candles on the table, and wine, and she'd always been able to make good coffee. It was a superb dinner.

The next night, when she had decided to try her hand with fish, he brought home a couple of friends.

She took this in stride. After all, what was there special about cooking fish? She had a lot of halibut, and she treated it the way her mother prepared sole. However, she did get off-schedule on the rest of the meal and arrived late at the table, after the others were already well into the halibut, course. "Delicious!" they all told her, and smugly, she took a bite...

She tasted disaster. Whatever she'd done to that halibut, it had been the worst possible approach. She took another bite, and almost gagged on it. She looked at the set smiles of her guests, and at Lennie's resolute expression. Tears started running down her cheeks. "I'm so sorry," she gasped, "it's just terrible.!"

"It isn't, either," said Lennie, manfully scooping up a second portion. "It's fine!"

Later, after the guests had made an early retreat, Lennie put his arm around her in the kitchen and gave her comfort. "If anything was the least bit wrong," he assured her, "it must have been with the halibut, not with your cooking." And he was very tender all the rest of the evening.

That night, after he was asleep, she lay awake, trying to figure what she'd done wrong. Finally she sighed softly and closed her eyes. "I may not be able to cook fish," she thought, "but I found and married a good man."

She was still of that opinion seven months later, when we spent an afternoon together. In fact, she was "radiant," "starry-eyed," and every other cliche ever used to describe a girl in love. She was, as is usual in such cases, even scared.

For instance, Leila had learned that even Lennie's honest criticism of her made a difference for the better in her life and career.

"He said something so simple to me, I didn't pay any attention to it at the time," Leila said. "I was putting my hair up in curlers, as I'd done every night since I was twelve, when he said it. 'You look horrible in curlers.'"

She blinked her long, thick, real eyelashes. "What could I answer? I had straight hair. It had to be curly tomorrow. The curlers were the only answer."

But, not so. "God gave you straight hair," Lennie said, "and a narrow face with small features. When you surround this with masses of curls, it only makes your face look smaller, less significant. For heaven's sake, drag your hair back from your face and, if it's straight, let it be straight! It's you, just as you are - and why not be yourself?"

In tears, the next day, Leila went to a hairdresser, had those unmanageable homemade curls chopped off.

The result - to everyone's surprise except Lenny's - was perfectly enchanting. Her narrow, gay, mobile face seemed to come alive, achieve new dimensions. And beginning the next day, the great new period of her career began developing for her. Ironically, however, the first thing she had to do after accepting the role of Juliet Goodwin in Golden Windows, was to wear a hairpiece until she could grow back the long hair necessary for the role.

In this new daily series, Leila plays the part of a singer who is isolated with her father on an island off the coast of Maine. She is unawakened until she befriends a man who is hiding from the law; then she follows him to New York to search for him and, like the child in the fable, learns that there are golden windows everywhere the sun is shining.

Actually, Leila's search for her real-life golden windows began in Brooklyn, so geographically she didn't have very far to go. With her brother, Buddy, she began, as a little girl, a sensationally fast-moving career that soon outstripped her mother's capabilities as a manager. Anyway, Mrs. Martin decided she didn't want to be a "stage mother" - she'd only allowed her children to learn to sing and act because she had considerable talent herself. They should have the chance if they wanted it, she felt, but nobody was going to force them in to anything.

As a result, Leila always enjoyed her work. Everything was a ball to her, and somehow this spontaneous, joyous quality came through in her work. Jaded producers, bored with equally jaded stars, recognized it and she ended up with good parts in "Two on the Aisle," "Peep Show," and, finally, "Wish You Were Here."

Then, just this year - after half a year of marriage, and while she and Lennie were still furnishing their first new apartment - TV started her in her own new show.

"I want to tell you about our pigeons," she said, that day I talked to her. And, although it's just a little tale, I think it shows just how things are between Lennie and Leila...

Two days after they discovered the new apartment on East Fifty-Seventh Street, almost on the East River. Leila, who had come into the empty rooms in order to do a breakdown on furniture and the future dow and saw the pigeon's nest. "She had two eggs," Leila explained, "and her mate had left her. She was frantic."

As the weeks went on and on, little by little, Leila and Lennie added furniture to their apartment, the progress of the hen pigeon and her one remaining offspring took up more and more of the Greens' time. Sometimes they even went there for no other reason except to see how the pigeon and her baby were getting on, and to feed them.

Finally, they both realized that the baby pigeon was a born milktoast. HE just didn't think that pigeons were meant to fly. The mother kept taking him off the parapet, but no soap. That baby pigeon had his mind made up. He'd flutter and come back.

"I know what," Leila said to Lenny one day. "You go out and capture him, and we'll make a pet of him."

"Oh, no!" cried Lennie.

"Go on," Leila said. "You can do it."

Lennie sidled sideways out onto the narrow terrace, and was just about to grab the pigeon when young Mr. Milktoast - with a baleful glare at Lennie - quietly spread his wings and flew off into the wild blue yonder. Lennie inched his way back to the French window and, once inside, put his arm around his wife. "I'm sorry," he said. "I muffed it. Now he'll probably never come back."

"But he can fly!" she said. "Let's be real sentimental and say he's off to find the golden windows were dreams come true."

Edited by CarlD2

DRW50   

Thanks for finding all that, Paul Raven! Where did you get all that? I didn't even think to check Wikipedia. How fantastic that there's a synopsis of the first week of episodes. I'm sorry that all my wall of text about the actress might obscure your info that actually pertains to the show.

I wonder whatever happened to Martin. Her only other IMDB credit is Valiant Lady.

From what you've read about the show, what do you think of it? The description reminds me of when that Mary Hartman Mary Noble book talked about Follow Your Heart and how the soaps that started out with something of a crime element didn't really work with viewers (not until EON, anyway).

Thanks both Carl and Paul on this one. Golden Windows, what a strange name for a soap. Here's what Matt P. Smith had to say about:

premiered

July 5, 1954

last telecast

April 1, 1955

setting

Capstan Island, Maine

New York City, New York

created by

???

network

NBC

production company

???

broadcast history

Mon-Fri

3:15pm - 3:30pm

(7/5/54-4/1/55)

After their failed attempt a to build a block of soaps in the mid-morning, NBC turned their attentions to the afternoon. Moving both their most popular soap Hawkins Falls and the television version of the popular and long-running radio soap One Man's Family into the afternoon, NBC sandwiched 3 brand new soaps, all premiering the same day, between them. OMF led off the new line-up and Golden Windows premiered immediately after it. GW was somewhat of a youth oriented soap, focusing on 22 year old Juliet Goodwin who moved to New York City to pursue a career as a singer (are we seeing that old radio soap convention of a single romantic heroine creeping in?). The bulk of the show’s storylines dealt with the opposition to her new career that Juliet felt from her foster father and boyfriend back home as well as a promising new romance she was experiencing in NYC. Thrown into the mix was the new boyfriend being indicted for a crime, the old boyfriend finding new love and getting married, and the suspicions that Juliet had that an elderly fan of her singing was really her biological father.

Despite all of these soapy goings-on, Golden Windows was the first casualty of the new block of series, after only 9 months on the air, airing its final episode on the same day as One Man's Family’s final episode (despite the show’s impeccable radio run, NBC finally lost faith in the television version). NBC reshuffled its afternoon block, still hoping to making it all work, and replaced both series with a 30 minute variety show.

DRW50   

I guess Golden Windows is supposed to mean some time of day, or is a metaphor for NYC, but it sounds like a sexual fetish.

Thanks for reading the article. It gets a little odd (the woman weeping when her husband orders her to cut her hair - I felt a little sorry for her) and the ending is horribly hackneyed, but I do like knowing more about these actors we'll never see.

I have one somewhere on the show's leading man.

I wonder if NBC should have had more faith in these shows or if there was no point.

dc11786   

I thought Golden Windows referred to the opportunity; when you close a door, a window opens.

Paul Raven's summary comes from Memorable TV's soap section. They've copied various entries from Wesley Hyatt's "Encyclopedia of Daytime Television" word for word. This entry can be found in Hyatt's book.

John Young's work on "The Right to Happiness" was strong blending legal matters into the domestic drama. This might have been a case of too much with the story in Maine, the theatre scene, and the criminal matters all fighting for story time in a fifteen-minute soap. Young's scripts are stored at Cornell and I believe most of 'Golden Windows' can be found there.

Both of Juliet's city beaus have the last name Anderson. I wonder if this is a misprint or if the two were related.

DRW50   

Thanks for fleshing this out for us. I hope someday the scripts might become more available.

BTW I do plan to type up a few more Right to Happiness synopses. Sorry I got off track.

danfling   

I felt that the late Barbara Cook would have been the perfect performer to play Natalie's grandmother on One Life to Live and that the show should have hired Ms. Cook to join its cast as the grandmother.