May 30 - June 3, 2011

Toups

• Members

Remember when the P&G soaps were being cancelled, the ABC soaps fans lectured the P&G soaps fans that because ABC owned their soaps, they wouldn't dream of cancelling them. It turns out they were wrong. Where are they now?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think there were rumors for so many years of failed pilots that after a while it was at a point where if it hadn't happened yet (the cancelations) it wasn't going to happen. I think there was also expectation for one to go, not both, although in the last few weeks before the news I felt more and more that both were going.

I feel sorry for the people at GH - it must be hard going into work knowing that your show is ending and you are just waiting and waiting for the announcement.

I know how ridiculous it sounds, as they at least have employment for another year or possibly two, more than AMC or OLTL, and in this economy that's more than most, but I keep thinking about what Kim Zimmer used to say, that working on shows which are waiting to die is pretty much hell.

Thanks for finding The Talk ratings.

• Members

I think Disney is still moving towards unloading the entire ABC-TV network. Right now, the price is too high (due to "star" talent and lavish primetime production costs) for what they're selling. Their entire Fall line-up, from Daytime to Primetime, should fix that problem IMO.

I don't understand why Frons didn't just let Carlivati go. Pay him off once he's finished at OLTL in November. When a pro sports team has an expensive player they want to get rid of but can't because there's a multi-year contract involved, the player is placed on waivers for a short period. If another team wants him, they just have to match the total price and they get him and his contract. If another soap ended up paying his salary and remaining contract, that would be a good thing for ABCD's bottom line, no? What money is saved by keeping an expensive HW (whose show was just cancelled) as a very expensive scriptwriter for another show that's most likely also going to be cancelled? :huh:

• Members

Seriously. Anyone who chooses to take a wait and see attitude deserves to have the rug pulled out from under them. I'd even ask to leave early if I had enough money saved or something else became available. It's going to be a depressing place to be once new lows become the norm.

• Members

There is a very strong rumor that ABC plans to turn all the daytime slots back to the affiliates starting 2014 and are giving the affiliates an opt

out in 2013 if The Chew or The Revolution don't work out to pick up other shows from "their" syndication pool which by the way will not include any

of the 3 soaps. Sweeney has allegedly greenlit development money for "daytime" or whatever it will be called to develop more shows for their syndication pool.

DAytime is the first step in ABC's transition of the network. 2012 is supposed to start major changes in primetime.

I think most are realists and know the end is coming and are looking elsewhere for opportunity. But most I would expect are still under contract so they can't just up and leave.

• Members

its not that easy to find steady work in this economy especially for the actors over 30. Riding GH out to the end is the best and only option for most of them as they are lucky to even have employment.

Yep this too. Those on contract are stuck for the time being unless they ask out and again thats pretty risky.

Archived