DAYS: Gary Tomlin Fired

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess Noel Maxam is a safe, competent pair of hands. Plus he is not that nincompoop Goutman. However, sounds to me like Corday will be EPing through him and that always leads to trouble. Remember when Shawn went to EYE-RACK to shoot up a few locals and save Philip for Belle? Yeaaaaaaah.

• Members

Gary does a lot wrong but he also did a lot right. The coloring and lighting is awful no question but I also think up until 2010 the show was actually good. BUt he then just kept relying on the same 4 characters until you burnt out the audience on them while pushing forward a bunch of characters and stories the audience did not embrace. I am happy for those who are excited about JOhn and Marlena and JAck and Jennifer and Bo and Hope getting more story because I don't believe Corday is really going to invest in any younger characters like he should. This also smells like he's heading toward wrapping up the show. I wonder if there is a chance of DOOL getting cancelled before the 2013 contract comes up?

• Members

Corday has had now many plans to fix Days? Anyone watching this show could see in 2010 it was headed in the toilet but he got the

renewal and felt safe. I think firing Higley and getting rid of some unpopular characters is a positive step. I just don't think Tomlin

was the issue but thats me. And seeing old supercouples? As I said I am happy for those who look forward to seeing them, and I do

think there is a place on canvas for a character like MArlena but I'd rather see these supercouples be used to help propel a younger cast that

can carry this show forward like Belle, Nick, Shawn, Phillip, Chelsea except they were all fired or left due to lack of writing.

• Administrator

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/soaps/days/news/item/4812-days-of-our-lives-executive-producer-gary-tomlin-fired

I'm disappointed Gary didn't get a chance to work with Marlene/Darrell. Instead, he had to produce Higley's crap. I will give him credit for saving DAYS from cancellation with the new production model. Do I wish the show would look better? Of course. I think he could've done more there.

• Members

I lost count after twenty (-thousand).

That's me as well. Getting rid of Dena and some of the "dead weight" from the cast? Smart ideas, both. Getting rid of Tomlin, too? Not so much. If anything, DAYS's writing improved because of his connections within the industry (Chris Whitesell, the Cullitons, etc.). What's going to happen to that now that he's out the door? Will the Cullitons follow suit?

• Members

I got the impression that Tomlin was a saving grace, keeping things as sane as possible under Higley's writing. But who knows.

At the end of the day, it's up to the writers, and who they see the characters as being. Do they think, for example, that the right story for J&J is all about how Jack must redeem himself and prove himself worthy, while a triangle with Jack, Jen and another man plays out?

Archived