80's cartoon JEM is finally on TV again!

BKuzak

• Members

I was a huge fan when i was a kid and always wished it would come back on TV. It's been like 25 years since it went off. The clothes and stuff are so 1980's but it's so great. I still love the show and the music. It's about a girl names Jerrica who gets a pair of earings as inheritance from her father and it's signeled to a woman on a computer who could turn her into JEM, a beutiful rock star. so she goes through every episode balancing her life as Jerrica who runs an orphange and Jem the glam rock star. Jerrica's boyfriend Riot has a crush on Jem, not knowing she is really just a hologram of Jerrica. then there are the misfits who wear ugly make-up and try to destroy Jem's career.

It's on three times a day (one eipisode a day) on THE HUB where Family Ties and Doctor Doogie Howser is playing too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Showtime Synergy! I remember giving little girls in my classes Jem stuff at their birthday parties. the toy commercials would boast that she was bigger than Barbie. :lol: I swear Jerrica and Rio used to open mouth kiss on the cartoon.

• Members

You beat me to it, Winning Is Everything is the song I most remember.

Ha, and then Mattel came out with Barbie and the Rockers to compete. I swear, so transparent! they take something as fun and innocent as toys and smarm it all up with calculated moves like that (also see: Gobots).

• Members

I hadn't seen this in such a long time. I mostly remember the theme song. It cracked me up that the songs only had a few lyrics, repeated a dozen times, but they're catchy.

I had forgotten just how crazy the show was. The Misfits steal the Holograms' van, and when Jem and the other girls try to chase them down, the Misfits throw instruments at them until they run off the road and almost over a cliff! Then for the cliffhanger, their home is set on fire and they're engulfed in flames! I wonder if any kids at the time were traumatized...

The animation is at times strikingly beautiful, and atmospheric, moreso than I remembered, and much more than the other 80's cartoons that I watched for reasons that had little to do with animation (He-Man and She-Ra). I especially like the shots of the girls when they're in the mansion as it's about to be torched, and the scene of Jem (whatever her real name is) going up the glass elevator.

Wish the black band member didn't have hair like Marge Simpson's sisters.

• Members

Indeed, Jasmine and her purple jheri curl wedge.

I think the animators behind Jem and He-Man/She-Ra did the thing where film of a real person is directly drawn over in some instances. When Jem spins around and dances or when Filmation characters spin and kick or laugh in medium shots, it is just too good.

They need to show this old fav too:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NiroJfWuWyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Outrageous! LOVE Jem! I'll definitely be tuning in. "Music is magic" and Twilight in Paris" is among my faves. My siblings got sick of me because all I would talk about was Jem as a kid. The Misfits were awesome. I loved Pizzazz (so much fun) and Stormer was my second fave. The thing that made Jem fun was the music being sooooo addictive. It was just pure fun. It'll be great to relive the '80's again

Archived