80's cartoon JEM is finally on TV again!

BKuzak

• Members

It was just a really vivid and fun time before every network thought they had to dress to impress with so much morning ad evening news coverage. Children were really appealed to and it was fun, orignial programming, even if almost always backed by a toy line :lol: (which just made the experience all the better for me).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I was just watching the "Hot Time in Hawaii" episode and it seemed like the animation suddenly got much, much cheaper (the green-haired Misfit looks like Lady Elaine Fairchild in drag, and the shots on the beach at night were shockingly bad, like something out of an old Sierra computer game from 1984). It also seemed like they changed the voices were most of the non-Jem characters. And the story was pretty bad. Please tell me it doesn't continue this way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

One of my main complaints about today is that there is no specific style, or anyhting you can point to that defines the decade. Everyone just dresses in black or something equally boring. There is nothing fun anymore that you can be embarrased by 15 years from now. 70's and 80's TV was GREAT for kids, I feel sorry for kids now, PBS is the only one catering to them... and most of their new shows are quite lame, certainly not as neat as the Electric company. I mean Rita Moreno, who could ask for more? What mystifies me is that the local stations at least where I live, don't even go with kids programming on their digital subchannels. It's just NEWS NEWS NEWS NEWS. Whe I was little, we had a local independent station (channel 41 KBMA) who opened the broadcast day with Art Linkletter, then had some chick who did yoga at 6 AM, followed a block of cartoons. The Star Trek cartoon came on at 7 AM right before I went to school.

• Members

I miss some episodes, as they seem to have moved timeslots, but does anyone think this third season is more than a little strange? The Stingers are strange, and seem to have made the Misfits irrelevant. I'm also confused about whether there is any "secret" about Jerica/Jem now - when Jem was alone on the boat with that Stinger guy, she looked a lot like Jerica, and she said she couldn't leave her sister (that was Jerica's sister).

I saw part of one episode where a fashion designer was habitually used and humiliated by the Stingers and their entourage, to the point of laughing at her until she was reduced to tears and had to flee the room. Of course, she found happiness (the Holagrams wore her designs and she was a hit) but it was so depressing.

There was also a weird episode set entirely in Russia about Danse and her long-lost father and their plan to look for her mother. I wonder if that was a backdoor pilot.

• Members

I have not been watching this, but I do watch He-Man, She-Ra, Bravestarr, and Ghostbusters almost nightly on Qubo and it seems to me (I could be wrong) that they are only showing a limited number of episodes. I've seen the same ones at least four times each, and I don't know how many times I've said, "I can't watch this Sherlock Holmes backdoor pilot on Bravestarr even ONE more time..." My new cable provider does not get the Hub on basic which sucks because I'm totally missing G.I. Joe and the Transformers. I have the He-Man and She-Ra dvds which I haven't even cracked open yet but if my hunch that Qubo isn't showing all the eps is true, I kind of feel like I want to hold off for a while.

Are you guys old enough to remember when the He-Man/She-Ra movie came out in '85? It got chopped up and became practically the first week of episodes for She-Ra, and I am almost positive that none of those episodes appear in the rotation.

Early Saturday mornings on RTV, they show the original live-action Filmation Ghost Busters starring Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch. The animated version from the '80s is a continuation of that series, with the main characters being the sons of Tucker and Storch's characters.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

It's funny, I've just been reading the last two vols of Tales o the City (before Maupin decided to revive the stories with two books I've been told to avoid but I probably will dig into because I love the characters too much), and in Sure of You they mention the '88 period when you could buy Jem makeup for girls. I remember my twin sister had some and I wanted some too but didn't want to be too girly (I was self conscious of that as a kid--had a few Ken dolls, the rare my Little pony male ponies, etc...) I had glitter blue nail polish from her collection, that you could peel (and eat--if you wanted to) off... :P

• Members

You should check some of the Jem ads on Youtube.

For me the weirdest Jem episodes are the "very special" episodes, as they are so overwrought. Anything involving Dancer - Dancer might be crippled. Dancer goes to the USSR to find her father.

The one about the girl who turned to drugs.

The way too adult and extremely depressing episode where Jerica remembered her mother's death and how she'd never been cruel to her mother at the end.

That sleazy guy from the last season's band having some horrible relationship with his father.

I never knew Jem/Jerica had a third personality.

Archived